5. the euphoric feeling

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry." Rocky says from next to me.

"What for?" I turn to him, confusion over my face.

"I didn't warn you that George was coming out of the pits."

"No, do not blame yourself. It's not your fault. It was a collision no one would've seen coming."

"It seems you've cooled down some since after the race. You know, Gemma isn't very happy with the stunt you pulled after the race. She says she thinks you're trying to ruin your career."

"Whatever. It just made me so mad in the moment, you know?" Our food is placed in front of us, causing me to unintentionally change the conversation.

"Oh my god look at this food."

"You look like you're in love with it, like you're about to make out with it." Max says from beside me. Rocky laughs shortly, and I just glare at him.

"You two should get a room." Rocky is the one to say this. I whip my head in his direction so quickly, I'm shocked I didn't get whiplash.

"You two are actually the worst people ever." I shake my head at them and take a bite of the chicken Alfredo.

I can see Max and Rocky share a look from my peripheral vision. Then they break out into laughter.

"I hope you both get fired." I say, sitting back into my seat and crossing my arms over my chest like a child.

"You know if we get fired you would quit. We are your favorite people." Rocky confidentially shares, leading them both to laugh even more than they were before.

"No actually, Parker is my favorite person." They both stop laughing instantly. Now it's my turn to laugh.

"Seriously?" They both say at the same time.

I look to Rocky on my left, then turn to Max on my right.

"Yes."

They're silent. Completely speechless.

"I'm only joking. You're all even to me." Their faces brighten again and I laugh at the change.

We all finish eating our food and are about to leave when Christian stands up, tapping his fork against his glass.

"As you all know, tomorrow is the opening race of the season. Max is starting on pole and our amazing rookie Ariella is strating p4. Also as you know, this sport is a team effort so I need everyone to go home, rest up, and clear your heads for tomorrow. Good night and good luck to our drivers" Christian ends his speech with a wide smile. Cheers and applause can be heard in response.

Christian comes up to me and continues to walk with me out of the restaurant.

"That last part, about clearing your head goes especially for you. We all saw what you did after qualifying today and I completely understand why you did it, but it's not a good look and I need to ask you not to do it again. You'll get a new start tomorrow and I just need you to forget about that and push for a podium finish." We arrive at my car and he opens my door for me.

"I know I shouldn't have done that, I'm sorry. But yes I will push for a podium tomorrow." He nods and I get into my car.

Christian opened my eyes about one thing though. My outburst wasn't only reflective of me, but also my team. I feel terrible now knowing how many people I drug down with me when I did that. It was a selfish move on my part. I wasn't even thinking of all the other people I may harm when I did that. I put a burden on Gemma too. She's probably trying to find a way to uphold my image and make me not seem like a total asshole.