Chapter 1

I followed the guild master's orders and headed to the guild's appraisal room.

When I pushed the door open and entered, the luggage that had been brought in had already been unpacked. And the magic items that the guildmaster wanted me to appraise were placed on the table in the room.

I pick up the appraisal crystal in the cupboard and activated it with magic power.
Appraisal crystals are very valuable and each of the guilds in the kingdom has one. As the name suggests, this crystal can be used to appraise the effects of magic items.
I was told that if I broke this crystal, it would cost an amount of money that I would not be able to pay even if I were to be reborn three times.

But was it because I was too distracted by the crystal?
Or was it a twist of fate?

I didn't notice that the hem of my clothes got caught in one of the magic items on the table.

And as I moved, that magic item—a small bottle about the size of an index finger—fell to the floor, making a light noise as it shattered to a thousand pieces in a blink of an eye.

"—!!?!?"
Nooooooo! Goodbye, my salary this month and possibly for the next few months!

But as I was drowning in sorrow, a bright, energetic voice echoed in the room.

"Cough, cough... oh, thank you! You were the one saved me from the seal?"
Pink smoke came out of the shattered vial, and what emerged from the smoke was a palm-sized fairy with butterfly-like wings on her back.

"Who are you?"
"My benefactor! I'm Oriondir, and I've been sealed for 300 years until you've freed me!"

"You… were sealed?"

"Yes!" She nodded her head vigorously. "I was kept in this vial for a long time, but I could never get out from inside... but you broke this cursed vial, and so, I came out!"

"Is that so?"
What a mess. How could a cute fairy be sealed in that small bottle. For 300 years, no less!
Whoever sealed her must be a terrible guy...

"Poor little thing, locked up in the vial for so long."

"Oh, my goodness, you are so kind! To think that you feel sorry for my situation!"

"Of course. It must have been hard for you to be locked up all alone in the vial, but you don't have to worry anymore."

"—!" The fairy held both of her hands to her mouth as tears swelled up. "What a benevolent person, you are! Okay, I decided! Would you please let me thank you for your help?"
"Eh? No, you don't really have to thank me. I didn't really do much of anything"

"Not only are you kind, but you are also humble! But you don't have to be so modest!"

"No, um. I'm good"
"Come on!"
Alright, I'm starting to be a bit scared of the fairy.

She's not listening at all, and instead, coming at me in an aggressive manner.

Come to think of it, was she sealed in the first place?

"Oriondir, was it? Why were you sealed in the first place?"

"That's the thing! Listen, it's terrible! A long time ago, when I was injured in the forest and was crying, someone saved me.

"So, in gratitude, I asked him what kind of magic he wanted, and that person, who was of the human race, said that he wanted the magic that made him popular with the opposite sex. And because that kind of magic does exist, I cast the magic that attracted and charm the opposite sex on him. "

"That's amazing! Can you really do that?"

Is she a high-ranking fairy?
The magic of becoming irresistible is a type of mental manipulation magic, which is a magic that cannot be used unless you are of high rank.

"Yes. After that, he became very irresistible with women. So irresistible, in fact, that quarrels broke out among women over him and violent incidents over him kept happening all over the country!"
"...…What?"

Somehow, the story went in a strange direction, and it was familiar too.

"But then, for some reason, he came to me and uttered an incomprehensible rant, saying things like, 'My life is messed up because of you,' 'Give me back my life,′ then he sealed me in the vial. "

The fairy made a sad, pouting face

"Hey, wait a minute"
Wait a second. Now I remember…
There was this historically famous event, which I have read in the guild's textbook of magical incidents.
There used to be a beautiful kingdom.

One day, without any warning, women all over the land fell in love with a one, single man. And then there were constant quarrels throughout the kingdom over that man.
Eventually, one of the women infatuated with him forced him to suicide... but even when the man died, magic on the women didn't disappeared, and most women in the country committed suicide out of grief.

It is said that the kingdom declined and finally got destroyed due to the incident.
And… that incident… was about 300 years ago, I believe.
Cold sweat dripped down my back.

"Ah! I just remembered, I've got errands to run! I'm sorry to say that I have to get back to work!"

"Oh, that's tough. I see. Then, I'll just start the magic right away."
"No, no, no, no, no, no! Don't worry about it!"

"Don't worry, benefactor! Since you're in a hurry, I'll be finishing the magic in a jiffy!"
"No, no, it's really okay! I'm fine! I don't need to be popular with women! It's really okay!"

"Huhu." She wiped a tear from the corner of her eyes. "Benefactor really is modest. I'm impressed! I initially had a grudge against humans, but it seems that the world is not yet abandoned. Alright! I have decided, I will use my utmost magic to make you irresistible!"

What?!
"Please don't do that!!!!"

Damn, why??!!
The more we talk, the worse things get!

Besides, with all this fuss, why hasn't anyone from the guild staff shown up? It's dereliction of duty, isn't it!

Unless… the fairy is using barrier magic or something?!
But if that's the case, this fairy is nothing short of advanced class!

The fairy began chanting with syllables I've never heard of.
"Fugurui, Fuguru, Kutugua, Nafurutagun, Ngaa, Gua ..."

That's a frightening magic, isn't it?

I wish I could stop it, but it's like there's a transparent wall between us!

And, without being able to stop chanting, a magic circle appeared on the floor below my feet and begun to activate as light shone from it.

Oh, god… I'm gonna die.

"Well then, benefactor. Please have a better life!"

As the magic circle was activated, my consciousness gradually faded, and the last thing I saw was the fairy who had a big smile on her face.