16. Arya ka Chota sa Dimaag

The heaviness of the dark night settled over Arya, an unwelcoming preview of her lonely life ahead. It was so harsh on her little heart that, she denied believing it for herself. She leaned against the doll house, caressing the Veer Balika doll and prayed that her Veer Balika get well.

Neil saw her sitting on floor at his way to his room.

The door knocked. Arya wiped her cheeks immediately. Her gestures appalled him. But as she saw it was him, she called his name and ran onto him with a tight hug, a hug as tightly as it could be.)

Neil- Choti Madam? What happened?...

(He squatted on his knees, without breaking the hug. He caressed her back and asked her again.)

Neil- Choti madam? (in his pure, polite voice) What happened? Veer Balika ne kuch kaha?

(She shook her head strongly)

Neil- Phir? (worried)

Arya- Neil, cancer kya hota hai?

Neil- Cancer? Ek bimari hai, kyun? (Her face lowered) Choti Madam? Kya hua?.....(his eyes widen) Mini kahan hai? Aapki Veer Balika, theek hai na?

Arya- Neil, usse cancer ho gaya hai.

Neil's heart skipped a beat. His knee jolted. Arya held his arm. His eyes forgot to blink as he looked at her with a deep anxiety ridden face.

Arya- Neil, Kya hua? ( he couldn't hear her)... Neil, bolo na? (stroke his arm) Neil?

(He looked at her)

- Veer Balika... mar jayegi kya?

He had never seen Arya this depressed, this vulnerable ever before. Her words stabbed his heart a little really deep.

- No! No way, Arya?! (His voice became thick as he told her) Kuch nahi hoga aisa. (he wiped the tiny tears from corner of her eyes.) Mini will be all fine. Totally, fine. Trust me.

(He told her and made his way to Mini's room when Arya grabbed his hand.)

- Neil! Neil, mat jao na uske paas?

- Choti Madam? Kuch nahi hoga-

Arya- Agar tumhe bhi Cancer ho gaya toh? (she wailed)

Neil- Choti madam,... shh.... Calm down. I'll be all fine, and so will be Mini. Main toh tumhara Genie hoon na? You don't trust me? Hn?... Come. Kuch nahi hai.

(She shooked. He pucked her in his arms and they head upstairs.)

.
.
.
.
.

Mini's room

Neil- Mini?... Show me your reports?

Mini- A re kya hua?... Arya?..

(Arya cried and cluthed Mini immediately.)

- Arya? (she placed a hand on her head and looked at Neil, cluelessly. His eyes mirrored a familiar, anguish-filled concern.)

Mini- What happened? (she asked in bizzare)

He sat down on the bed and slowly grasped her foot

Neil- Mini,... you have cancer?

She was dumbstruck at his question. Her brows narrowed, and she shook her head.

Mini- No?.... Who told you? Nahi, mujhe cancer nahi hai, maine bataya toh tha tumhe aaj kya hua. (he looked down and rubbed her feet) One sec, test ka report aa gaya kya?...

Arya and Neil exchanged sights.

Neil- Test ka report aaya nhi?

Mini- Nahi?