The Particle Accelerator Explosion

Central City – December 11th, 2013

The night was young with the sun's fading glow dipping below the horizon as Central City buzzed with excitement. Tonight, the future of the world was going to change. STAR Labs was turning on the Particle Accelerator in the hope of advancing our very idea of science far into the future. But despite the promises of advanced technology and medical marvels, protestors crowded around the lab in defiance of the incoming leap in scientific study.

A black van pulled up just behind STAR Labs' rear parking lot. Just inside, bickering between four people could be heard.

"I'm just saying, Harrison Wells is a certified genius. If the Accelerator was tampered with, he'd would know, wouldn't we?" Fitz argued.

"It's not just that, Turbo," said Mack. "If our intel is right, Harrison might be well aware of the problem."

Grant interjected, "Who spilled the beans, again? Rathaway? Not a guy with a lot to lose."

"Reputation means more than money, to some," said Fitz.

"Exactly," said Mack with a knowing look.

Fitz accepted the look, hanging his head, "Why would he want to blow the Accelerator anyway? What does he gain?"

Finally, the driver leaned over her seat, "That's what we're here to find out and stop, of course. You got my comms?" asked Skye.

Fitz handed the brown haired, tan skinned, brown eyed young woman a set of reworked inner ear comms. "Should be non-detectable as long as you don't come into contact with any frequency disruptors."

Mack added in, "STAR Labs has reinforced titanium-matrix self-sealing bomb doors. Makes you wonder if Wells is trying to direct the blast."

"Direct the blast?" said Grant Ward, loading his guns with ICER rounds before tucking his sidearm into his belt. "You think he has a target?"

"HQ thought so, maybe Wells wanted to take out a satellite, but none are passing over right now. But we can't take the chance. We need to get in and disable the Accelerator long enough for HQ to clear a safety inspection," Mack re-explained. He was taking charge of this mission. He trusted no one else more, and he would risk his life for every one of them. "Plus, if we can get any damming evidence, I have Hunter and Bobby undercover in the crowd ready to make an arrest."

"That'd be nice," said Ward. "Wrap up everything in a nice little bow." His tone indicating that nothing ever went so simply.

"Yes, it would," said Mack picking up a high tech briefcase and setting it down next to Skye.

Skye knew the plan. But using their secret weapon right off the bat usually meant not going in quiet.

Fitz automatically began to input the code to open the case. It unlocked to reveal two silver gauntlets, bulky with four total fingers on each hand, with circular plates on the palms designed to open up and release devastating shockwaves. On the case's underside of the lid was one word that read, "Q.U.A.K.E."

"Ward and I are giving you cover. Get into the Pipeline, hack their systems, and get out. Okay?"

"Roger," said Skye bringing her arms forward for Fitz to attach the gauntlets. The gauntlets went up to the elbows and attached to a harness that Skye wore with a battery pack at the center back. Hooking in two induvial power cords for each gauntlet into the battery pack instantly powered the gauntlets producing a constant but quiet vibration through Skye, the gauntlets humming with power.

"And be careful. Forgot to mention that" said Ward leaning over and kissing Skye. It was brief and the two pulled back with smiles.

Mack just shook his head with a light smile while Fitz awkwardly looked up at the van roof.