~10~

~Madeline Payne~

"Zayn Malik what in the world were you thinking?" I exclaim, swatting him in the back of the head with my hand.

He shrugs, handing me a bouquet of dandelions.

"You were almost killed by bees, but you still didn't give up on getting me dandelions?" I question, lightly tracing my fingers along the stem of the beautiful weed.

A chuckle slips past my boyfriend's lips before he speaks, "I had to get something for my girl." I feel his lips gently press upon my forehead.

"Be more careful. You scared me."

Zayn nods slipping his arm around my waist. I smile, his warmth filling me with happiness. Zayn has been acting like himself—the Zayn that I had come to love—since I had gotten out of jail. That was four days ago.

Humming fills my ears and I begin to search for the source of the noise. A man walks along the dirt road. Zayn tightens his grip on me, seeing the man as a threat.

The man wears old torn clothing and his expression, from what I can see, is hard and intimidating. His hair lies on his head in a greasy brown mop. An ungroomed stubble dots his lower face.

He redirects his attention from the road before him to my boyfriend and I, letting out a shout, "This here is private property!"

"I-" I start, being cut off by the boy I love so much.

"Sir," Zayn calls out to the man, slowly walking toward him, "I apologize for trespassing. I wasn't aware that this area was owned by anyone." Zayn knows that adults appreciate teenagers with respect.

"That's 'aright," the man states when we stand before him. "Would you like to join me for dinner?"

I look at Zayn with pleading eyes, my mind screaming stranger-danger. He shakes his head, kindly declining the offer.

"I'm sorry, but I think we should be going."

The man's blue eyes glimmer with what I believe is disappointment. He looks at the ground with a frown.

He softly says, "Oh, I understand. It's just I've been really lonely. I ain't got no family anymore." Guilt seems to flow through my veins, weakening me.

"Actually, I believe we have a bit of time to spare," I tell the poor man, looking at Zayn for his input. My boyfriend shrugs, obviously not completely fond of the idea, but not against it.

A smile flies across the man's face faster than a spaceship flying through the barrier to space. He begins to lead us down the road to his home.

"What're your names?" He asks, not bothering to turn back and look at us.

"I'm Zayn and this is my girlfriend, Madeline." My lips curl into a grin when the word girlfriend leaves Zayn's lips. His hand reaches mine and tightens around it.

"I bet your parents would love to hear that," the man grumbles with sarcasm dripping like venom.

I find myself sassily responding, "Well, actually they are very happy that we are together." I squint my eyes, oddly infuriated with the man's guess.

"Tell them I said great parenting skills."

"Sir, I hate to interrupt, but may we please change the subject? Our parents are very good people and are amazing to both of us," Zayn cuts into our argument.

The old man, who I had originally thought to be homeless, indicates to a large one story farmhouse that is crumbling and gross. An equally large barn sits in the far right corner, on one side surrounded by falling down white-picket fencing.

"Beautiful house," I lie, choking on my nerves. Zayn nods, in an almost as true 'agreement.'

"Thanks. Since I lost my wife, I don't got the want to keep it up."

My eyes, which were scanning the disastrous land, fall upon a painted rock. On that rock are five letters that send shivers down my spine.

~~~

"Thank you for inviting us to eat with you," I thank as Zayn pulls my chair out, allowing me to stand.

The man, who has told us to call him Lee,  rubs his forehead and replies, "Well, actually I've wanted to ask if the two of you could help me."

"With what?" My boyfriend wonders, taking the food-lacking plates from the kitchen table. He takes them to the sink and begins to clean them.

"My son's room needs to be emptied. I've decided to...adopt and she is going to need a bedroom. I would do it myself but," Lee pauses, wiping a tear that I didn't know was there. He continues, "There are too many painful memories."

Although a sense of pity fills me, I just can't help but notice how the almost-stranger's words came a bit too easily.

"Well, I'd love to help, Lee, sir, but I have to work every day after school," Zayn lies, obviously not the helping type of guy.

"I'd love to help," I say with a smile. "Is Friday okay?"

"Well, I need to get it done tomorrow," Lee announces with a frown

Zayn and I had planned to go bowling tomorrow after school. Because of the party, I have been trying to avoid my father as much as possible. I look over to my boyfriend with puppy dog eyes. He shrugs.

"I guess I can come tomorrow."

Suddenly, I hear a loud crash above me and my attention flashes to the ceiling.

Lee mumbles a few harsh words before glaring at the area over our heads. I squint my eyes at the white ceiling in confusion.

"What's that?" Zayn questions forcefully. He wraps his arms around me as if protecting my body from the sound that got my nerves running wild.

"Those pesky mice never leave."

My voice shakes, "That sounded a lot bigger than a mouse."

"One probably knocked something over in the attic," Lee informs me.

"Oh, I see," I comment with a smile. Zayn's arms never loosen around me as if his beliefs don't side with Lee's explanation.

He begins to pull me to the door, muttering a goodbye. Before long, Zayn is driving me home and one thing is on my mind; the five letters painted on the large stone that sits in front of Lee's home.
---------------------------------------------

I hope you liked this!

Please comment what you think will happen.

Is Lee who he really says he is?

Vote and Comment!

maddy