~3~

~Niall Horan~

   "She and Zayn broke up." These words hit me with some mysterious force. This force makes oxygen or carbon dioxide seem to bubble up in the back of my throat, preventing me from breathing. My stomach lurches and feels as if something is dancing around inside. Is this what "butterflies" feel like?

   "M-Maddy's single?" I ask, not believing him. Harry nods. "Madeline is single," I say again, getting the feel of the word.This feels like I'm running to catch an elevator. The elevator is opportunity. I can miss it though. The doors can close. They can hit me in the face, or I can successfully enter. There's another option. I can just avoid it completely.

   "Yeah," he says, an amused grin across his face. I give him a look as if to say, "What's so funny?" He continues laughing.

   "See for yourself." He opens the locker beside mine, belonging to a snobby girl that is obsessed with looking at herself. I look at myself. My normally pale skin is blotched a pinkish red. I immediately throw my hands over my cheeks and turn back to Harry.

   "You're an idiot. You do know that, right?" I joke, checking the mirror again before slamming the locker closed.

   "But I'm a good looking idiot."

   I slap him in the back of the head and shake mine. "Yeah right."

   "Hey, hey, hey," Harry states, pretending to fix his hair. "It takes a lot to look like this." He reopens the locker containing the mirror. He picks up a container of that weird stuff that make eyelashes voluminous. He unscrews the top and fakes applying it. "Just a bit of mascara and a bit of cherry lipgl-"

   "What do you think you're doing?" Someone snaps. I turn to see a girl with bright red hair dangling against her shoulders. Freckles dot her pale skin. She is Lucy Donnell, the owner of the locker. She snatches the lip gloss and eyelash volum- I mean mascara from his hands.

   "Hey, I was trying to make myself beautiful!" Harry exclaims, throwing his hand over his heart in mock hurt. Lucy lifts her hand, slapping him. A loud smack rings through the halls. I burst out in laughter.

   "Horan, what are you laughing at?" She snaps, whipping her hand against my face so fast, it doesn't hurt...at first. a wave of pain seems to suddenly attack me. I press my my hand against my cheek gently, feeling tears sting my eyes. Now it's Harry's turn to laugh. Lucy huffs, slamming her locker and struts off.

   "Well," Harry states, "That was...interesting." I ignore him, turning to the hallway leading to my study hall.

   I look at him, several comments arising in my brain just waiting to be said. "Out of every word in the dictionary, you chose interesting to describe that?" Harry shrugs, pulling the door open. The tardy bell rings just as I sit in a desk in the back of the room.

   "Sit down and find something to do," Mr. Samson states. He sounds tired. Everyone is. School is out in two weeks.

   I look at my desk, bored. I hear the door open.

   "Miss Payne," Mr. S. states, "You're late."

   I look up at Madeline. Tears are running down her face. She nods at him and apologizes.

   "Well, don't just stand there. Find a seat." She looks around for an empty desk to only find one, the desk in front of me. She sits and stares off into space. Something inside of me longs to wrap my arms around her, but I can't. I'm just Niall Horan. Niall James Horan. That's all I'll ever be. The teacher leaves the room and everyone rushes over to Maddy. They wonder why she is crying and what happened. Those questions are on my mind as well.

   Over all of the questions, I hear Madeline state, "Guys, I'm fine. Leave me alone." With this request, everyone walks back to their seats. I watch Maddy balance her elbow against the desk's surface and place her chin in her hand. I can hear her quiet sobs. I clear my throat in hopes she will notice me. Nothing. She doesn't even acknowledge me, but then again, why would she?

   "H-hi,"I hear from in front of me.

____________________________

Who is it? Please comment.

It's time for me to get some answers! Are you a

Naddier

Or a

Zaddier

Please vote and comment!

Thanks

maddy