𝐃𝐚𝐦𝐬𝐞𝐥 𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬

Start from the beginning

He shook his head, "Blackmail. From Elizabeth," the way he said it, he found it childish and disappointing but whatever she had somehow was enough to being him here.

I wish I could say I was surprised, but blackmail and Elizabeth do sound like they can go together in one sentence.

"Well, what kind of blackmail?"

He grabbed his backpack, "I said one question. If you want to talk, we shouldn't do it here. And not now. We're about to gather downstairs."

I blocked his path again, "Do you still care about her or can I absolutely fuck her up?" I emphasized the last words.

"I told you this before, I don't care about her. As long as it doesn't concern me, do what you need to do."

"How about you? What do you need to do?" I urged.

"Wipe away anything she has against me. It's on her laptop. You?"

I wanted to ask what it was she had on him. Maybe they're both bad in some way and Janeel's the lesser evil. Regardless, I had to be the most evil.

"Reveal to dad whatever she's been doing. But I need proof. He won't believe my words nor yours."

He was starting to agree. Janeel nodded his head and rechecked his things, "Fine. I'll see you later after the trip."

Again, he looked old in his getup. He looked like a dad. Still, he looked like a hot dad. In comparison, the full camping bag and cap reminded me of a boy scout. I bet he looked cute as a kid.

The words were out before I could consider underlying meanings, "Maybe I should get your number?"

Janeel looked like he was about to say something about it, but in the end handed me his phone. His wallpaper was a cat in a fruit bowl. It looked personally taken.

Behind me, the door opened. In walked Myles. He had his headphones on and only realized what he walked into when he lifted his head from his phone. He, too, was ready with his gear in a jam-packed bag on his back.

His eyes went from me to Janeel, me to Janeel.

I wondered aloud, "Does he know?"

"He knows."

"I know."

I gave Janeel his phone back.

"See you later," I told them before I went back into my room. Or pretended to.

When the coast was clear and I was sure I was the only person left on the second floor, I quickly entered my father's suite.

You could easily tell Eli's presence in the room. Parts of the suite looked put together and other parts had junky shit all over: makeup, clothes, shoes, bags, skin care all sprawled messily throughout. Even though dad's about to leave for the trip and Elizabeth was busy with the dessert, I had to be quick.

First were the obvious spots: under the bed, in the closets, in the bags, and behind the furniture. Then was the rummaging in the wardrobe closets and drawers.

I was getting frustrated. The suite was big, but not so big that you'd be able to keep a device hidden completely. I started wondering if maybe she had hid it virtually only. Google drive, flashdrive, maybe an email to herself? But Janeel said it was on a laptop so still, I had to look.

I failed to hear the presence of someone else.

"Scarlett?"

I turned around to see my dad, also ready to go hiking and hunting. He looked very dadly in cargo pants, a thermal shirt, a vest, and a bucket hat.