Volume 2 Chapter 6: Burning the Candle

Comincia dall'inizio

Just looking at her made my heart pound. And, it's been like this for a while. It's not just her, but also Y/N. But, as she's taken, not much I can do about.

I've already understood this feeling. I'm just... scared. I'm scared to tell her. I'm scared about the timing.

BUT! That's not why I'm here. I'm here to convince the ferocious kitten.

A laser pointer should do the trick.

Her reactions to it are just adorable. And, like fishing, I've reeled her in.

Y/N's POV

They left, and Ruby was still glum. I was trying to figure out how to get her to cheer up, at least a little.

Me: "Ruby, trust Yang. If anyone can get Blake to come to the dance, it's her."

Ruby: "How can you be so sure? Blake is so... adamant about finding Torchwick. She's-"

Me: "Destroying herself. I know. And I know what she feels like."

Ruby: "You do?"

Me: "Yep. Let me tell you a little story."

Ruby: "A story?"

Me: "You see, it wasn't always just me, my dad, and my mom. I also had an older brother. His name was Liam. He would've been... oh, probably in his thirties by now. You see, he was a special kind of huntsman. He was just like dad, but dad was too old. Liam would take on missions that even experienced huntsman would struggle with, and he'd finish it with ease. He never did it for money. Nor fame. He did it to protect us, his family. But, when I was a little girl, probably four or five years of age, Oz- a man came to our door, with a request. My dad was too old to fight, and mom was busy taking care of me, and so, Liam took it himself. He was gone for days, weeks, and even months. When he came home, he was bleeding profusely. And, right there in the doorway, he died. No five year old girl, let alone anybody, should have to see their brother die in front of them. From that day, I wanted to know why. Why did he go? Why was he killed? Why couldn't someone else take it? I trained. I trained so hard. Day and night. Also so I could uncover the truth. I still haven't. But, I'm one step closer. Eleven years. It took eleven years to find out who gave the mission to him. And that's all I know so far. It was destroying me. I didn't care. But then, you appeared. Without knowing, you had saved me from ruining my life. And for that, I can never be more thankful to you."

Ruby was sniffling and tearing up over my story, so I held her, held her tight. My own eyes had started leaking too.

Ah... I thought I repressed that...

Ruby: "You know... my mom disappeared like that too. She went on a mission, and never came home. I... don't have much memories on that time, but I remember that she loved me. She loved Yang. We were happy. She disappeared, and we had no idea what to do next. So, I wanted to become like her, so I can make sure no one has to feel like that again. Thank you, for being with me, Y/N."

Me: "Of course. Now then, since we got the sappy stuff off our shoulders. Do you wish to come to the dance with me, my lady~?"

She gave a quick chortle before nodding her head.

Ruby: "Yes, yes I do."

The next day, or perhaps night, was the day of the dance. Ruby and I had already decided to surprise each other, by not seeing the other until we meet in the dance room.

And in she came, wobbling around with heels that she's never worn before, but she looked so beautiful. So cute.

I walked over to her and took her arm, steadying her.

Me: "You look so beautiful. Wobbly, but beautiful."

Ruby was speechless. She just kept staring at me, gawking, and her face blushed bright, causing me giggle.

Me: "I'll take that as a compliment."

Ruby: "Y-Yeah. You're just... wow..."

We had a quick dance before heading off to the side lines, to take a slight break.

Ruby: "I'm sorry for steeping on you!"

Me: "It's fine, it's fine. It doesn't hurt at all."

Ruby: "I don't understand Weiss can fight in these things."

Me: "It's all about practice."

Soon enough, Weiss and Yang joined up with us, and, Blake was there, dancing with Sun. I swear I could see a pang of jealousy on Yang's face.

Yang: "See. I told you she'd come."

Ruby: "So... what do we do now?"

Yang: "Just have fun!"

Ruby: "Does that mean I can change out of these stupid things and into my hood now?"

Me: "Nope, you're going to suffer, like the rest of us."

Ruby: "Stupid lady stilts."

Me: "I'm gonna go get us some punch. Wait for me?"

Ruby: "Of course."

And so, I went to get us some drinks. I, of course, could over hear quite a bit. Mainly, Ozpin talking to Ruby about the fact that people can't spend their whole life on the battlefield.

Also, Mercury and... Emerald, I think her name was, had entered. They had this... mischievous smile on their faces. I'll just be on careful watch for now.

Back to my darling!