Chapter 1- Diamonds

Começar do início

"Yes, they will." She fills up her bottle at the fridge.

"They will what?" I feign not knowing what.

"Know." She punctuates.

"Know what?" She chuckles at my answer.

"Know it was you." I notice Bucky and Steve finding this amusing with the grins on their faces. I can also hear the smile in Emily's voice.

"Know what about me?" We all burst out into laughter. Emily walks over with the water bottle and flick ice at it, making it colder for her. She grins a thanks at me and I nod to her. I pull out my phone and dial my dad's number with a sigh.

I reluctantly press send and put the phone up to my ear. It only makes one ring before the phone is picked up.

"Phoenix Paige Fury!" I cringe and hold the phone slightly away from my ear.

"Good morning, Daddy." I mumble and I feel multiple eyes on me. My hair falls in front of my face like a shield from their gazes. He begins speaking quickly to me and I don't even get a chance to break into his conversation.

"You will train." I don't dare to speak so I just nod, though she can't see me. "Good. Tonight you'll report to the helicarrier for a mission."

"Yes, Sir." I can feel him soften on his end.

"Phoe-"I already cut the line before he could say anything else. I let out a sigh and run a hand through my hair, not wanting to train.

"I'll come down with you. Powers against powers so you can practice again." Emily speaks up and all I manage is a nod. I push myself off the stool and walk towards the elevator. I hear running steps behind me and I know not just Emily is coming along.

***

We arrive down in the gym and I walk in over to the music player. It helps me concentrate and focus, while bringing me to reality at the same time. I slide in a disk and press track seven.

"You guys are going to want to stand in the booth. This would hurt all of you and since you're watching the children, I do not want them to get hurt." I walk over to one end of the room. "Tell us when you begin, for the first minute we'll be stretching." I hear footsteps leave and I stretch my arms and legs, while twisting my body so I'm not sore tomorrow.

I give her a thumbs up and she nods. We hear them tell us to begin and we both look at the ground and breathe in deeply. I push all thoughts of anything from my mind and focus on making Emily an enemy in my vision for a while. We do have a word to make us stop if anything goes wrong.

With my mind clear, I know both Emily and I look at each other like we're each other's enemy as we look up at each other at the same time. I clench my fists and my whole body turns to ice.