𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕: 𝐆𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓.

Start from the beginning

"Y-yeah, I do," she stuttered, a bit caught off guard by the sudden seriousness in Arion's eyes.

"Aight, so c'mon," he grinned widely, tucking her under his arm. "Watch what I do, move 'yo legs like this to the beat." Khadijah nodded—determined to do the dance right. Her tongue poked out a little as she concentrated, watching Arion's feet move. She tried to mimick him as best as she could, following the flow of the song as she held Arion's hand that dangled over her shoulder.

"Okay, okay!" Setty cheered them on from behind. Camera flashes went off as the crowd hyped them up continuously, but the only person Khadijah could see was Arion.

"It's just a dance, hooyo," Khadijah blushed, averting her eyes, "not a big deal."

"You was fucking it up," Lauren hummed in approval, leaning forward to get a better look at the small computer screen, "looking cute as hell too. I see why Arion can't get enough of 'yo ass. Still, I didn't see this coming, and that irritates the shit outta me." Lauren huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Didn't see what coming?" Khadijah asked curiously as the music video finished playing in the background.

"You and Arion." Lauren clarified. "I don't know, I couldn't wrap my head around it at first. You were so deep into your books, I never thought you'd ever look his way."

"I was academically driven, auntie." Khadijah sighed.

"Yes, so driven in fact, that you didn't have any friends until Kevin and Arion forced themselves into 'ya life," Lauren spoke, rolling her eyes, "I'm just saying, Arion has waited a long ass time for this moment. I guess shit really does come full circle."

"Huh?" Khadijah jerked her head up. "What do you mean?"

"Laur, no," her mother, Timera, chimed in suddenly, shaking her head slowly, "let them figure it out for themselves."

"T, what are you talking about? Clearly, they—" Lauren stopped speaking, locking eyes with Timera who made a facial expression Khadijah couldn't quite decipher.

"What? What is it?" Khadijah asked frantically, eyes darting between her mother and her aunt, who held a silent conversation Khadijah wasn't included in.

"Nothing, jacaylkayga (my love)," her mother sighed at last with a strained smile, "your aunt is going senile and maybe potentially dealing with early menopause."

"Bitch—" Lauren gasped so loudly, sitting up straighter on the couch just as the front door to the apartment opened. Jackie popped in with a bright smile, carrying two bottles of wine in-hand. Khadijah perked up, suddenly distracted, as Arion walked through the doorway after her wearing a simple grey tracksuit and white air forces.

She bit her lip nervously, reaching over to hastily close her laptop screen as they walked in.

"Hola chicas (hello girls)! How we feeling tonight?" Jackie exclaimed happily, shucking off her coat and setting it behind one of the kitchen chairs. They slipped off their shoes before fully entering the living room. Jackie squeezed onto the couch next to them with the wine bottles, while Arion leaned up against the archway.

"Feeling good, feeling good, Jack," Lauren said, narrowing her eyes at Timera before she turned her gaze to Jackie, "we just watched the music video, by the way. It's amazing. You guys did the damn thing. I'm proud of you, Arion."

"Thanks, auntie," Arion smiled slightly, looking down at the floor shyly, "I 'preciate it."

"Both my babies did good, that's why we have wine tonight!" Jackie cheered, pumping the bottle of white wine in the air. "Kevin was supposed to come with us, but he said, 'fuck I'ma do there? Sit and watch Doug and Jah fuck? Hell nah.'" Jackie said, mocking her youngest son's voice, dropping her voice slightly lower.