Chapter 20: Unanswered Questions

Start from the beginning

Bucky was telling me about how he also never liked being surrounded by doctors.

I watched as Wanda turned back towards us, and the doctors rushed out of the room. Seemingly more terrified of their interaction with Wanda than with Bucky.

Wanda stood at the foot of my bed.

"They said they'd like to watch you for a few more hours, then we can get out of here. Sound good?" She said,

I nodded. That, I could handle.

Wanda walked over to the head of my bed, grabbing the remote.

"How about we watch something? I haven't really watched my shows since you've been here." She said, using her powers to gently nudge me over on the bed, giving her enough room to lay beside me.

She put her arm behind my head and over my shoulder.

"It just wasn't the same watching them in your room without you there." She said teasingly.

I rolled my eyes at her, smiling.

I scooted closer to her, putting my head on her shoulder, watching as she flipped through the channels.

I saw Bucky sit in the chair next to my bed, not the one I had thrown.

Once Wanda found the channel, she leaned her head on mine.

We all fell into a comfortable silence, watching the small tv.

Bucky's POV:

Your friendship with Wanda, I just don't have words for.

I knew you guys were close, basically attached at the hip. But, I don't know, seeing it, seeing how you are with her, it warms my heart.

I could just tell how much you trusted her, she was your family.

I hope that I can make you feel that way someday.

Your guard was down, like fully down. Despite me being in the room, so maybe that's a start.

As I settled into the chair beside you, trying my best to watch the tv, and resist the urge to look at you,

"If they read her fucking chart, that wouldn't have happened." I heard Wanda's voice, loud and clear.

I kept my head straight but glanced at Wanda, her eyes and face still fixed on the tv.

She finally glanced at me, making eye contact.

"Can you believe those idiots were 4th-year residents?" She scoffed, her lips didn't move.

She was in my head.

Despite hating people being in my head, I'll allow it. For now.

"Wait until I see her surgeon, he's going to hear from me." She said,

I tried to fight back a smile, continuing to stare at the tv as I listened to Wanda.

"By the way, I am totally not in your head... well I am, but not how you think. I'm just communicating with you in your mind, nothing else. So, you know, don't be pissed at me." She said,

"Thank you." I responded.

Even though I was a lab experiment, you and Wanda's powers still left me with so many questions.

And now, I might just be able to ask you about them... eventually.

There were still so many things that I didn't know about you.

And I wanted to know.

I want to know everything about you.

The good, the bad, everything.

The fact that you had already allowed me to see so much of you, even though it hasn't been much, was such a privilege.

Just silently sitting next to you, and your closest friend. Even being at a distance, not touching you, I felt so content.

If this was the most you'd allow me to see, that would be enough.

That first time, looking into your eyes in the kitchen. When I first arrived, right before you disappeared. Despite it being brief, happening so quickly, I felt you.

I am definitely not saying I have any powers like yours. But, I don't know, I saw something.

Something like a spark, a jolt of electricity.

A connection.

Or maybe I am just crazy. It wouldn't be the first time.

The image of that man, the man from your dream when you were in surgery, popped into my head.

Something, something felt familiar.

Like it wasn't the first time I have seen that face.

But I couldn't place it.

"She'll tell you." I heard Wanda say,

My eyes darted to glaze at her.

She literally just told me she wasn't in my head.

"Sorry, popped in to tell you something else and heard that."

I took my gaze away from her, looking back at the tv.

"How do you know?" I replied.

"How do I know what?" She said,

"That she'll tell me."

"Just trust me." She said,

I've been more trusting in the last 45 minutes than I have been in 100 years.

But if you trusted Wanda, so did I.

"Just–" She sighed.

"She's been through alot, and came out of it unbitter, still kind... Just keep that in mind."