Chapter 16: Loft visit

Start from the beginning

"Funny. I don't remember asking you if there was something going on between you two." Clary said smirking amused making Alec's eyes widen and a blush to erupt on his face. She started to giggle at his reaction and patted his shoulder. "Don't worry Alec, as I said before, I'm not surprised my sister charmed you too." Clary said giving him a knowing look and then she walked towards Melody when she saw her finishing talking at the phone.

"Well, change of plans. We are collecting Simon on our way towards the loft." Melody announced.

"What? Why? Did something happen?" Clary asked confused as she furrowed her eyebrows.

"He sounded a little scarred and worried. I need to see that he is alright." Melody explained as Alec walked close to them. She noticed his face and pointed to it. "What happened to your face? Why are you so red?" She asked confused.

Alec felt his body tense at her question, and even without looking he could feel the smirk creeping on Clary's face. "Umm, it's because of the sun." Alec said quickly. 

"The sun?" Melody asked clueless. 

"Yup. I have a very sensitive skin when it comes to the sun. So um...let's not stay too much in just one place." Alec suggested trying to change the subject.

"Right. We need to get there as fast as possible." Melody nodded and started to walk, leading the way.

"Very smooth Romeo." Clary smirked. Alec then glared in her direction but Clary just chuckled at his reaction. Alec groaned as he followed the sisters.

After collecting Simon and making sure the boy was alright the four made their way towards the loft. They arrived soon behind the building and Simon climbed a ladder. "Have you been doing parkour lately?" Clary asked noticing her friend's unrecognizable agility. She soon followed behind him, next after her was Melody and Alec was the last to climb.

"You've gotten better at this." Simon complimented the girl as they climbed the stairs.

"I was going to say the same thing about you." Clary complimented right back and Melody rolled her eyes at their attempts to flirt.

"Climbing a fire escape excites mundanes? I would never understand these people." Alec mumbled under his breath as he climbed the stairs.

Melody chuckled at his comment. "Not all of us." She said and then turned to talk with him, stopping him. "I know you are stressed because of your mom, and I promise we will get back to the Institute as fast as we get the box." Melody said as Alec looked at her. "You have my word." She said with a soft smile.

Alec sighed and nodded. "Alright then. Let's get it done." He said and Melody smiled and nodded. The climbed the stairs at the top and stood next to Clary and Simon. 

"Wow." Clary said as they looked at the entrance.

"I don't remember it like this." Melody said as she took a few steps ahead and looked at the marks on the walls.

"These are runes and protection spells casted by a warlock." Alec said stepping next to Melody. The girl looked at her sister.

"Dot." The sisters said in unison. Melody then turned to the marks and touched one. "Some of them must have been here for years." She commented and Alec hummed as he nodded.

"The only difference now is that we could actually see them." Clary said stepping next to her sister.

"Clary, Mels, what are all these tags?" Simon asked pointing to a rune, catching everyone's attention.

"You can see the runes?" Alec asked surprised.

"Yeah. Kind of hard to miss." Simon noted as if it wasn't the most obvious thing on earth.