i said remember this feeling

There was a calmness in the air that had been lacking as of late as you sat around the fire with the other Howling Commandos. You had been on raid after raid, but now, you had a moment of reprieve while Colonel Phillips, Peggy, Howard, Steve and the others planned the mission to capture Zola. You knew it was going to be a difficult mission, the German scientist was heavily protected. But maybe that was why there was calmness now. You had learned from the others that enjoying what moments of peace you could was important.

That had never been a thought to you. You had only ever known two things: fighting Deviants and protecting humans. You supposed there were moments of peace, when you were with Druig. But your entire life had been a mission. When Ajak let you go, she had told you to find a purpose for yourselves. You thought protecting humans was your only purpose. But sitting here, with your fellow Commandos, with your friends. Perhaps your purpose could also be to enjoy the moments of peace.

Steve had been gone all day planning, but he had come to join you now, taking a seat next to you. He smiled at you as you offered him your drink and took a sip before passing it back to you.

"Peggy finally let you off your leash, Rogers?" Dum Dum Dugan joked.

Steve blushed red as Bucky offered him a glass of scotch he had smuggled from the bar. "We were planning our next mission."

You laughed. "Why are you blushing then? Must have been an interesting mission brief."

"Not you too," Steve rolled his eyes with a smile on his face.

"Yeah, leave the kid alone," Bucky came to his friends defense. "He can have as much briefs as he wants with Peggy, or wear 'em as little as he wants." He smirked, causing you all to laugh.

"Alright, alright, jokes over," Steve grumbled. "What have you guys been doing?"

"Just sharing battle stories," Jim Morita said,

"Yes, and the beautiful Y/N was about to regal us with one of her mysterious stories," Jacques Dernier said.

You sighed, feeling a bit of deja vu. You remembered a night long ago when you had swapped battle stories with another group, from a realm far from here. It was the same camaraderie, you realized. The camaraderie that could only come from soldiers that had seen battle together, that hoped to survive the war together too.

"Hopefully not a made up one this time," Gabe Jones said, bringing up the many times you had tricked him into believing the most ridiculous things. Like how you had supposedly defeated the evil Atlantean King Atlan. He had fallen for it before he saw Bucky cracking up behind him.

"All of my stories are true," you glared at him.

"No they're not," Dugan said. "But they sure are entertaining."

"Well, I don't have any stories," you said. "Not interesting ones at least."

Truthfully, you had thousands of years of tales in your mind, thousands of years of battles and moments in between. But you didn't want the humans to know too much about your past. It was dangerous, allowing others to know too much of your Eternal roots, even if you trusted them. You had been careful with how much you delegated to them.

"Oh come on, the way you fight, and your powers, there's no way you haven't had your own adventures before this," Morita said.

"I don't," you insisted.

"You gotta tell us something, Y/N," James Montgomery Falsworth said. "You know everything about us, and we know nothing about you."

"I know too much about some of you," you glared at Bucky, who had a tendency to not care of your proximity when changing.