Chapter Twenty Six - Halloween

Start from the beginning

The idea was overwhelming, but tempting. I hopped down off of the stool and grabbed a few bowls of snacks to arrange them on the coffee table.

"Where's Will?"

"I sent him downstairs to grab some cookies from the cafe," she answered. "Wait until you see his costume! He looks so sexy," Julie grinned. I just laughed to myself and stirred the punch.

Moments later, Will came through the door carrying a big box of cookies. He was fitted from head to toe in a pharaoh costume, head piece and all. Julie had really outdone herself with their outfits; Will looked just as amazing as she did and he noticed me eyeing him.

"You like?" he asked, turning from side, mockingly, to show me the whole outfit.

"Yes! You guys look great!"

"Not too shabby yourself," he pointed to my ensemble. I pretended to bow like a fairy princess would and he laughed as he walked over to Julie and pecked her on the cheek.

After that, people began to show up. There were students from school, Penny from the café, and a couple of kids who Will knew. The music was pumping as we all danced, ate and drank. I would have loved to have some summer wine, I thought to myself, but that probably wouldn't be the smartest idea with all the non magical people around. About an hour into the party, I noticed that a certain brother and sister hadn't shown up. And at that moment, someone knocked at the door. I ran to answer it before anyone else could.

It wasn't my beloved vampires, but it was someone beloved, nonetheless.

"Tess!" I cried and squeezed her hard. "I'm so glad you came! Love your costume!" She wore what I had suggested, a fairy queen outfit. But hers wasn't like my cheap party store version at all. Tess had done her long blonde hair in wispy curls and a crown of twigs sat on top. She wore a beautiful silky pink dress that had vines and flowers randomly woven into it, her massive wings were brown and seemed to be made from a soft wicker; they curled at the ends so that they wouldn't stick out so much.

"Hi sweetheart," she calmly greeted. I'd expected my usual hyperactive aunt, but Tess seemed off. Instead, she sounded mellow as she stepped back to take a look at what I was wearing and stare at me in awe. "Avery...you're beautiful."

"Um, thanks, Aunt Tess." This was weird. What was wrong with her? "Hey, you okay?"

Tess shook her head, as if she was pulling herself out of a daydream. "Oh, yes, sorry, I just ended an excruciatingly long work week. I'm in shock that I'm actually taking a break." That was more like the Tess I knew. "Plus, I'm psyched to be here with you guys! I've missed you so much! Where's Jules?"

"Come on in." I took her jacket and shut the door. "She's over in the kitchen with Will. Go, I'll be over in a sec."

As I was hanging up Tess's jacket, another knock came at the door. But this was someone that I wasn't expecting.

"Oh. Hello, Max," I greeted flatly.