Chapter Twenty Two - Answers

Start from the beginning

Then I realized I'd felt like this at the gallery, the same night that I met that scary woman. I stopped in my tracks and looked around for her. I never did get a really good look at her that night, but was sure I would know her when I saw her.

"Avery, what's wrong?" Lattie asked.

"Lattie, I think there may be someone from the Seelie court following me. You need to leave now," I warned her. If this chick was from the Seelie court and she saw Lattie, things could get bad because Lattie had run away from them.

"No, if you are in trouble then I am staying with you. I can't leave you alone Avery, what kind of friend would I be if I did?"

"And what kind of a friend would I be if I got you hurt? Lattie, go now," I ordered. She looked at me hesitantly, but then decided to leave. She flew off back toward the apartment. I felt better knowing that she would be safe.

I still didn't see anyone around, but I did still feel anxious, scared and tense. I walked toward the woods where I figured she might be. That's where she'd been outside of the gallery and I doubted somehow, that she would show herself in plain sight in the park. As I pushed small branches and bushes aside, I felt the fear grow stronger. I was heading in the right direction. But then I thought about something. Why was I going in the direction of the fear? Was this another manipulative skill of the scary woman?

"Well, here we are," said a menacing voice. I turned to find her standing a few feet from me in torn and tattered black clothing, almost like combat wear. Then, for the first time, I noticed black, bat-like wings tucked behind her. She was some sort of fairy, that I was sure of.

"Who are you? I'm telling you lady, I'm not who you think I am," I told her again.

"Oh, yes you are. I was right. I've been hearing things of you, whispers and stories of the beloved Iron Worlder who dances with the Summer Fey. You, my dear, are absolutely the one who painted the kingdom."

"But what does that have to do with anything?" I shrieked.

"The painting is of the old kingdom, not as it is presently. How could you have known to paint it? You did not live in Faerie, obviously, you are a mere human," she spat as she eyed me curiously. "So, someone must have told you about it."

"No, you're wrong. I'm telling you, I swear! I don't know any fairies!"

"You are lying!" she bellowed and moved toward me so swiftly that I didn't even see her legs move. She suddenly stood right in front of me, inches from my face which she grabbed with her greasy boney fingers. I could smell her—she reeked of ashes and burning flesh, like death almost. I was so scared that I couldn't blink or breathe.

"You do know fairies, plenty of them. You're name has been spoken among the solitaries for some time now, Iron Worlder." She looked at me like I was the dirt beneath her feet.

"Look, yes, I do know some fairies. But none that would have told me about a kingdom or anything like that, I swear!"