Chapter Twenty One - Iron Worlder

Start from the beginning

"Hey, you should go as a fairy queen!"

She laughed awkwardly then. "Um, sure, I'll go shopping for something tomorrow. When's the party?"

"Friday night. Tess, are you alright?" I asked.

"Yes, yes I'm fine. Why?"

"Well you're just being...weird." The last thing I needed was another weird person on my hands right now.

"Oh, no sweetie, I'm just thinking about how nice it's gonna be to see you guys. I miss you so much. But, I have to go meet a client. So I'll talk to you this weekend?"

Liar. She was so bad at it, worse than me even.

"Okay, Tess, love you."

"Love you too, tell Jules I said hi." And she hung up. Bizarre, but then again, everything in my life was sort of bizarre right now. Nothing felt right. I couldn't shake the feeling either, that something was about to happen. I couldn't tell if it was good or bad, but it left me feeling uneasy and a little helpless. I looked at the clock in the kitchen. Only six thirty. I moaned and slumped further down into the couch where I slowly drifted off.

I awoke to the sound of people whispering above my head.

"No, you wake her. She's used to that."

"But she looks so tired; if Avery needs rest then I refuse to wake her," whispered a musical little voice, Lattie's voice. I opened my eyes then, to peer up at my roommates hovering over me. Lattie perched on Julie's shoulder, playing with a strand of her blonde hair.

"Hey guys, what's up?" I said through a yawn. I stretched and sat up. The clock in the kitchen told me that I'd slept for four hours, the longest time I'd spent in the past two days with my mind at ease. No obsessing, no distractions. Nice.

"Well, we were going to go to a party and figured you'd be up for going," Julie said.

"No, you thought that Avery would want to go. I thought she should rest," Lattie interrupted.

I smiled. Lattie was such a good friend. Always caring about me and worrying about me. "It's okay, I got in a pretty good nap. I'm up for a party. Where is it?"

"In the park, the summer fairies feel like celebrating again. They are hoping that if they celebrate enough, their Queen will return to them," Lattie explained with enthusiasm.

I frowned. "Oh, a fey party. I dunno guys. Last time wasn't so good for me. You know, with the drowning and all," I replied sarcastically.

"Hey, we'll make sure that you stay away from the lake." Julie had excitement in her eyes. I could tell that she was aching to go and see other fey, and she wanted me there. How could I say no?

But, I hesitated. The thought of experiencing another night like that one made me feel ill. "I don't know, you guys."