Chapter Nineteen - All That Glitters

Start from the beginning

"We're going to go hunting for some last minute costumes."

"Oh, you're coming to the party?" Will asked. I couldn't tell if he was genuinely surprised or actually disappointed by that.

"Yes, Avery invited my sister and I. Guess we'll see you there," he replied. They both just stared at each other for a moment, exchanging hostile glares. I felt the need to break up this silent display of testosterone.

"Okay, as much fun as this is, I think we should probably get going," I suggested sarcastically and I slightly pushed on Jack's arm to guide him toward the door. He looked at me and his face quickly softened up.

"Yes, of course. We only have a couple of hours before the mall closes." He turned and pretended to tip an invisible hat to Will. "Pleasure."

I glanced back at Will who was turning pretty red. He gave me a 'I can't believe you're hanging out with this guy' look. I shrugged and mouthed the words I'm sorry, as I followed Jack out the door. Once outside, I turned to Jack and slapped him on the shoulder. He looked both shocked and amused.

"Hey, what was that for?"

"Will is one of my best friends, which is more than I can say for you. You could have at least dropped the sarcastic attitude."

"What do you mean? What sarcastic attitude?"

"Oh you know what I mean! The way you were talking to him back there." I dropped my eyes to the ground. "And the way you sometimes talk to me, as if I'm a big joke or something."

Jack took my hands in his. I loved how he was slightly chilly. I always ran a little too warm; the feel of his cool hands on mine was refreshing.

"I'm very sorry Avery. I didn't mean to offend your friend and I certainly didn't mean to make you feel that way." He was very close to me now, our faces inches away from one another's. He peered into my eyes as if searching for something.

"See, why can't you be like this all of the time?" I asked jokingly.

He laughed a little. "I don't think that you would like it very much if I looked at anyone else this way."

I blushed immediately. I wondered just how much it would bother me. It's not like Jack was my boyfriend or anything. I did like him though, a lot. And I thought he liked me too, I just couldn't read him. I couldn't figure out why he liked me, or if he even wanted to like me.

"Would you?" he asked.

"I...um no, I mean yes, I think, maybe." I couldn't look him in the eyes at this point. No one I had ever met made me a verbal mess the way he did. I sighed.

"What I'm trying to say is that you can look at whoever you want in that way. Just please don't look at me that way if you do. Does that make sense?" It probably didn't, it barely made sense to me.