1862

"Margaret, make haste!" A shrill voice called faintly from below.

I immediately recognized it as my mother's voice, always so strained and never in any other tones other than annoyance or disdain.

"Coming Mother!" I hollered out, quickly being reminded of just how tight my corset was. The boning and tightness of it slightly restricted my breathing. I smoothed my fingers, covered in a pair of light blue gloves, down the front of my midnight blue gown. I stared blankly at the embroidery all over the trim, flowers, magnolias, to be more specific.

Looking up at my reflection, a smirk grew on my face. I could not deny that I looked beautiful like the southern belle I was. Grabbing a silver mask from my desk, I donned it onto my face.

"Margaret Hart, do not make me come up there young lady!" my mother once again yelled for me from downstairs. I quickly rushed out of my door and down the stairs.

Standing below waiting for me stood my mother, Elizabeth Hart. Elizabeth was once called the most beautiful woman in all of Dixie, now she was just a shell of who she once was. She was still what I would consider beautiful, but her cold aura made her unwelcoming. She decided to trade the title of beauty for beast. Her powers made her a force to be reckoned with, one that even I, her flesh and blood, fear from time to time.

I slowly walked down the grand steps of our foyer locking eyes with Mother, her satin red dress matching the crimson that painted her lips. Her eyes scrutinized every inch of me until she memorized every freckle and every design on me. Slowly she nodded and voiced her approval.

"That color was a great choice," she said as I landed on the main floor, giving her space to walk around and inspect me. She looked at my hair, and pulled into an updo with a blue ribbon implemented into it.

"Thank you, Mother," A small smile graced my lips, it was an uncontrollable reaction to the acceptance and pleasure of my mother which was so rare these days.

"Please understand the importance of tonight, Margaret" She turned me to face hair and reached up to swipe some loose powder from my face.

"You are my heir, you must act like it. The men and women of this coven are vicious snakes and will strike at any sign of weakness" Her voice was cold and steely, but the way she looked at me, a warmth she only possesses from time to time was the only reassurance that she cared for me. She gently held my face and in brief, that moment worry showed in her eyes.

"You face a problem faced by many of your predecessors, some may say that as a woman you have no right to be the heir, others may say you are perhaps too naive, but you, my magnolia, will prove them wrong."

Suddenly her golden eyes narrowed as her lips curled up in a cold smirk. Her hands dropped from my face and went back to hers, adjusting her own black mask.

"Do you know why?" She paused before speaking again. I patiently awaited her answer, slightly nervous.

"Because you are Hart, you will lure those who see you with your beauty before showing your sharp teeth" On that note, her smirk turned into a wide, blood-chilling grin, showcasing her teeth.

I backed up slightly, a lump in my throat forming. I nodded, forcing myself to flash her my own carefully practiced smile.

"Shall we go my dearest daughter?" she said before turning and heading towards the grand door, swinging it open with the flick of her wrist. Quickly I followed her out, stepping out, feeling the southern air against my skin. The humidity clung to my skin as we walked towards the carriage, driven by one of my mother's people.