Chapter 11 - Waking up

Start from the beginning

"(Oh no you don't.)" She pushed me back down with her ears lying flat and a glare that signaled to everyone who her long enough that you wouldn't want to push your luck. "(You will stay here and explain why you have the audacity to treat me like this.)" My hands were pinned down by hers above my head and struggling didn't give me an edge as she was stronger in this situation. I was still weak from just waking up, great excuse I know. Anyhow, what didn't stop me from ignoring her question?

"(How long was I out for?)" She sighed in her frustration at me not cooperating with her as she hoped for but still found an answer to give me.

"(A day.)" I hummed in reply. We stayed like this for a good second before I took the word to not make things more uncomfortable than they already were.

"(Can you let me go? I am quite hungry.)" Her tail flicked. I knew she couldn't hold up her upset demeanor for that much longer.

"(No and I don't care. Why did you slap me?)" She ever so slightly leaned forward. I continued to give her attitude.

"(Why did you?)" She closed her eyes for a second before taking in a sharp breath and repeating her question to make like I didn't speak her language.

"(Why.)" she again leaned forward. "(Did.)" Again. "(You. Slap. Me.)" She was quite close to my face now. Only a few centimeters separate our faces. Looking down I saw her na'vi breathing pack around her neck, she must have taken it off before coming to me. This didn't go unnoticed, however. "(Hey!)" I jerked my head back up from staring in a suspicious direction, looking her in the eyes. "(My eyes are up here.)" Her tail continuously swung from side to side now. And was that a pink tint on her cheeks?

"(You were saying?)" I teased, fully knowing what she had said. She only scoffed and let go of my hands, now lightly slapping my forehead and standing up first from me and then the bed in mere moments.

"(Boys.)" she murmured whilst walking away. I let my gaze follow her, definitely not on her ass, never. Wait, that was a little more sway than usual, whatever. I now took the opportunity to look around where I even was. What met my eye was the medical branch of the laboratory. The sterile smell hitting my nose made my face scrunch up. How was I able to ignore this smell? I again swung my legs over the side of the bed to stand up, hoping to be let this time.

"Firin! Good to see that you are up." I turned my head to the source of the voice.

"Hey, Max." The older scientist made his way toward me and sat down next to me.

"Are you ok?" The concern in his voice was evident. For some reason, my mood dropped as soon as he made his way over to me. As if the shock stayed until now.

"As much as the situation allows, yes." I avoided his gaze by looking through the room. Why were my emotions acting up? "I assume they told you." I continued, purposefully avoiding the obvious subject directly, now bouncing my leg to stop myself from sounding too emotional.

"Look-" he put his arm around me to which I gave him a stern look in response, making him retreat and put his arm back. I leaned forward, staring holes into the floor. "I know it's hard for you." He leaned forward as well. "Everybody knows how much Spider meant to you." He left a brief pause in his monologue. "But we have so much on our plate with the return of the RDA that we can't focus on one person." Tears had formed in my eyes, crying to be let out. I turned to him with a sniff of my, for some reason, closed nose.

"Do you know what it feels like to lose a brother?" This time it was the dark-skinned man's turn to look away. Scratching his neck below his man-bun to signal his uncomfortableness with this topic.

"Not a brother, that would be Jake's case, but I lost people too." He turned to my teary eyes with his calm brown ones. "We lost many great people during the war back in the day." He took hold of my hands which previously laid idle on my legs. "Everyone here lost someone important back then." I wanted to look away, but he turned my face back, making me look into his eyes. "You are not alone." I nodded again sniffing. "Come here."