CHAPTER XIX

nineteen  | 19

THE MIGHTY.

"Shall you hold the flashlight, or should I?" Clara coughed out, moving to look over the side of the wall at the forest not too far away.

"It's okay, I've got it." Edmund replied, pulling his flashlight from the satchel he wore across his shoulder. Clara gently massaged her arms, trying to alleviate the numbness that had settled in.

The chilly air caused her breath to materialize into a hazy cloud in front of her while Edmund clicked the light on and off.

As soon as the message was sent, six additional griffins revealed themselves, clutching bodies in their talons as the other two had been.

To any onlooker down below, those creatures would seem no more than simple birds.

The griffins flew past them briskly and made their way toward the lower towers. Clara and Edmund exchanged a grin as they watched on, pleased that their plan was unfolding successfully.

With determination, Caspian unsheathed his sword and swiftly attacked one of the guards as the six landed.

    He didn't have the courage to watch as the Telmarine fell into the moat below, possibly remembering at that moment that they were still his people.

    "I can't believe they didn't know we'd ambush them." Edmund observed as Susan, Peter, and Caspian threw a rope to the window below and descended skillfully down it.

Clara remained silent and made a displeased expression before walking towards the door that led to the lower levels of the tower.

She had to find the record of deaths, this was her chance. "Wait, where are you going?" Edmund called out after her.

    "Stay here, I'll be back as soon as I can!" She replied, though sympathy struck her heart when the boy's eyes grew wide with concern.

"I promise." Clara returned to him and gently held his hand, giving it a soothing squeeze. Edmund swallowed tightly as he looked down at their hands, fighting to calm his aching heart.

Then he sighed deeply.

"Don't get into any trouble." He muttered, gripping the flashlight even tighter as he followed her form with his eyes as she slunk away into the shadows.

Once Clara made her way down from the tower and entered the main area of the castle, she was unsure of which direction to take.

Windmane and her sons hadn't exactly given her a map, but then why would they have one?

She would have to work it out on her own.

As she walked along the stone walls, she couldn't help but run her fingers over the rough surface. Suddenly, she noticed a guard pacing back and forth down the long corridor ahead of her.