CHAPTER VI.

six || 06.

AND SO WE MOVE ON

AND SO WE MOVE ON.

"WHAT happened here?" Peter asked eventually after the initial shock of finding the Badger, his eyes catching a group of stone mice not much further away. Clara shifted, listening intently to the crunch of the snow beneath her shoes.

   She couldn't say she found much joy in the sound anymore.

    "This is what becomes of those who cross the Witch." The group spun around, fear coursing through them at the thought of being captured by the wolf pack. A small fox, most definitely not a wolf, appeared on the roof of Badger's home, his amber eyes scouring the group ominously. Was he working for Jadis as well?

    Mr. Beaver clenched his teeth and stomped towards the fox, Mrs. Beaver reaching to hold him back. "You take one more step, traitor, and I'll chew you to splinters!" He seethed. "Relax." The fox chuckled as he slid down the log. "I'm on of the good guys." Clara held her breath as her and the fox locked gazes. She noticed his eyes narrow slightly.

    "Yeah? Well, you look an awful lot like one of the bad ones..."

    The fox scoffed at Mr. Beaver's impertinence and shook his head. "An unfortunate family resemblance. But we can argue breeding later, we need to move." Clara felt her heart grow lighter as her fears melted away.

From what she gathered, the fox was on their side; Aslan's side.

    Lucy grabbed Clara's hand in hers and squeezed it as tightly as she could. Peter, ever the father figure he was, wrapped his arms around the younger girls and pulled them closer. Clara could tell he was confused and still didn't trust the creature.

But what else could they do but trust him?

    Snarls and a spine-chilling howl ripped through the night air, rapidly reminding them of the situation they had gotten themselves in. "Please, help us escape." Clara pleaded with the fox, Peter's grip on her shoulder only tightening.

    A sly smile, or what she assumed was supposed to be a smile, peeled it's way onto the fox's face and he slowly turned his head towards the trees. Clara puffed out a breath of astonishment. He wanted them to climb the trees.

    "Cmon Lucy." Clara said as she picked the younger girl up, lifting her up so she could grab the lowest branch of the nearest pine tree. Lucy grunted as she pulled herself up, her legs kicking as she continued to ascend, making sure Clara stayed at least a branch below her.