Chapter Three The Book Club Rescue

3

The next morning

College of the Ozarks

Dobyns Dining Room

The ladies of the Books & Bangs book club spent the morning at their rental house discussing Deadly Games. Piper asked the questions, and they had a spirited discussion.

"How did you feel about Jamie parachuting without the four girls?"

"It was horrible."

"Almost made me cry."

"Those kinds of decisions are hard."

A tense and tragic scene played out in the book Jamie had to choose between potentially rescuing four girls, or parachuting out of the disabled plane to get valuable intel to Mossad that could potentially save thousands, if not millions, of lives. Everyone agreed it was a heart wrenching decision but necessary.

"Were you surprised that the tour bus guy was also CIA?" Piper asked.

"Yes. I didn't see that coming."

"I had no idea."

"What did you think about Jamie's struggle with imposter syndrome?"

"Perfectly understandable. But she shouldn't worry about it. She can't save everyone. If she quits, then she won't have the struggle, but then thousands of girls won't be rescued."

Harriet could relate in a small way. She hadn't been able to sleep the night before, thinking about the girl at the restaurant. It was weighing on her heart. She felt a little bit like an imposter. Yeah. She had gone to talk to the girl, but then bolted when the man showed up and things got a little tense.

She could've done more. Should've.

The scene played out in her head, over and over again, like a bad movie. Having had time to think about it, she could think of a dozen things she should've done differently. Things she could've said to confront the man. Maybe rescue the girl.

Instead, she went back to their upscale house and continued her cushy life. She wasn't rich by any means, but had a wonderful husband, great friends, kids and grandkids, people who loved her, and was in reasonably good health.

Compared to that young girl who should have her whole life ahead of her, but was subjected to only God knew what horrendous things. It wasn't fair. She could've done something about it, but chickened out.

June felt the same way. They'd talked about it at length since they were sharing a bedroom.

Harriet took the last bite of her Maple Thyme Chicken Salad sandwich. The book club was eating lunch at the Dobyns Restaurant at the College of the Ozarks, just outside the main strip in Branson. She'd been there several times and the food was always magnificent.

The entire college was impressive. Hard Working U it was called. The restaurant was staffed by college students who were well educated, mannered, and patriotic. Things the school was determined to instill in its students. Along with a Christ-like character.

Values Harriet appreciated.

June finished her Aztec Chicken Salad and had a satisfied look on her face. Some of the other ladies were more ambitious and tried some of the unique items on the menu. Like the Brussel Sprouts Nachos, the Shaved Brussel Sprouts, the Salman Niçoise, and the House Pickled Beets.