𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐈𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

𝐋𝐨𝐧𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐈𝐬 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Two cars parked in the packed recording studios parking lot at the same time, parking in directly parallel spots. The sun shined down, hot on every inch of L.A. County. Four car doors slammed shut almost simultaneous, followed by the sound of four women from different walks of life coming together to create something they were proud of. At least that's what they said when they were trying to be poetic.

The air felt lighter, there wasn't any pressure this time around. They had already done the hardest part, releasing the debut album, and now they only needed to release an album that could be considered anything but a "sophomore slump".

Carmen was the first to open the door to the studio, the chilly air of the conditioned room was a welcome greeting. Debbie led them through the studios long hallways and into the second largest recording room the studio had. It had been dubbed the"Sleepaway Sound Studio" from the decorative well used fold out couch that sat in the corner of the room.

Inside the room two men already sat in the cushioned desk chairs in front of the soundboard, the producer and the lead engineer assigned to work on their next album. The engineer stood up to shake each of the girls hands but the producer merely turned around in his chair, cocaine still dusted the top of his thick mustache.

"I'm Tony, I'll be the lead engineer for the album." The tall man said with a tight smile, shaking each girls hand.

The producer wasted no time with introductions, "We got a tight schedule to keep today, I expect one of you brought something for us to work on."

Louise looked taken aback but Lorraine stepped up to the plate, "Yeah, we got three songs to work on today. We were hoping to get vocals on one and work on the baseline and drums for the other two. Louise is still fucking with her part."

The older man sat in contemplation, Carmen looked at his face. He had deep smile lines hidden by his mustache and crows feet prominent at the corners of his eyes. A slight stubble covered his jaw, his brows sat low on his eyes. His face looked as if it was made to sit in a scowl forever.

"Well what are you all standing around for, get in the fucking booth."

The other girls went to sit down and Carmen made her way into the recording booth. She placed the headphones on her ears and taped her foot to the steady beat that filled her ears to help her keep time. She was surprised at how quickly everything was going, but she tried to look as indifferent as possible.

She took a deep breathe and started, "Once the last drop of rain has dried off the pavement / Shouldn't I find a stain, but I never do."