𝐨𝐧𝐞

𝐆𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐆𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞 𝐆𝐫𝐞𝐞𝐧

Carmen: Growing up in Gainesville had a big impact on me, more than just my accent. I never tried very hard in school, but it was never expected of me to. No one ever told me that I had to try my best. It was just assumed that you were born smart and would go to college or you would live in your parents house and smoke some Gainesville Green till your brain rotted and you ended up just like your parents. Maybe you were a little less fortunate in your home life and you ended up on the streets. I never really thought much about my future when I was younger, which category I fit into.

I didn't ever really care about much of anything actually. I know for a lot of musicians they say that they had this moment when they first played some shit on a guitar or they listened to the Beatles for the first time and the world just seemed to make a little more sense, well that didn't happen for me, at least until I played with dolls. Back when I was a little lanky twelve year old I didn't care about how powerful music made me feel I just wanted to have fun and not think about what was waiting for me back at home. Which is how I ended up snorting cocaine to get me through the day.

I've always had addictive tendencies and with people it was no different. Especially when I met Dean.

♐︎

A Roy Orbison song pounded through the crowd of sweaty teenagers, all dancing like they didn't still live with their parents, like if they danced a certain way maybe they could pretend to be an adult for a few hours. Carmen weaved through the crowd her own sweat that had slid down her arms mixed with who ever she bumped into with the hope of wading to the other side of the yard. She didn't know what she had taken earlier but it definitely was the reasons she was so calm, even when it got harder to breathe as the crowd changed their moves for whatever Beatles song filled the air. The dancers all bumped into each other as they chased the beat and Carmen stood still in the sea of people too caught up looking at the stars that decorated the night sky.

A hot sweaty hand grabbed onto her elbow pulling her through the seemingly never parting sea. Her lungs felt empty and she knew that she should definitely care a little more about whoever had taken her but she couldn't, the sky was too beautiful and the air was much too hot for anyone to put up the effort to speak through the muggy Florida heat.

"What's your name?" Questioned a voice that Carmen could only describe as a little nasally and like the speaker was always leaning forward just a little.

"I don't remember." She lied.

"That's okay," He responded, "I'm Dean, you need to go home."

She tried to muster up a scoff but all she could manage was a slight shrug of her left shoulder as she sat down on the wet grass.