51. Secrets and accidents

Start from the beginning

Just yesterday I couldn't eat anything and today I have to eat every three hours like babies.

"Come in," I say upon hearing two knocks on the door.

"Lunchtime", my old roommate shows up at the office.

"Romeo Alfieri, my savior", I praise him as if he had ended the war in the world at the same time that I jump up to get my bag. As hungry as I am, I don't feel like hospital food. So I'll drag my friend to the corner restaurant.

However, he seems to have other plans.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"We'll eat out," I explain. "I invite."

"No, darling," he stops me with a lopsided smile that accentuates his bad boy looks. "We're not going anywhere. We're having lunch here today."

"Here?", I huff with a frown. "In my office?"

"That's right", suddenly three women dressed as waitresses enter the premises with carts and trays. "Courtesy of your dear husband."

In a few minutes the girls set up a makeshift table with all kinds of Italian delicacies.

They have moved the best traditional food restaurant to my office! It's great. Only Adriano Di Lauro can do something like this.

"You have to see how crazy you have the man," he adds once we are alone again.

"Why have they set up a table for five?", I ask, puzzled. As much as I do the math, I have one plate left over and I don't think my husband plans to come to eat surrounded by so many people. That's not his style. "Since when are we so many?"

"Well...", I see him hesitate and that makes me uneasy, "there's another surprise for you."

I hear the sound of the door opening followed by a slight throat clearing.

I turn towards the source of the sound and then I freeze on the spot.

"Oh. My. God," I emphasize each word in a leisurely tone. "Romeo, tell me I'm not hallucinating and Leah Falco is in front of me."

"You're not hallucinating, my beautiful Cassandra," the aforementioned responds. "The prodigal daughter has returned home."

"Hi", she greets me briefly and a little shyly. Leah shy?

I don't have time to reflect anymore because by pure instinct I throw myself into her arms.

She's here! My best friend is back.

"I've missed you so much," I comment between sobs.

"That makes two of us, Cassie."

"I have my two women together again," Romeo breaks the embrace to squeeze between us.

We both roll our eyes automatically.

"Hey, if my husband listens to you, you're finished," I declare with all certainty.

"Nooo," he denies amused. "A man like Adriano Di Lauro must know how to share.

A small laugh escapes my lips. This one has already gone the pot.

"We better sit down or the food will get cold."

Gia joins us and we get ready to eat.

Although before I send a text message to my Italian:

'Thanks for the lunch. I hope dinner is much better'

He doesn't take long to answer me:

'It has been a pleasure. Take that for granted. Leave the plate empty'