'What we do for our children'

"Goodbye, dear," my cheerful mother-in-law says with two kisses on my cheek. She looks like she's drunk the whole bar. "And congratulations! Grandchildren, grandchildren, many grandchildren!"

I have lost count of how many times she has congratulated me.

"Good night," Mr. Federico manages to say while his wife drags him out. My father-in-law rolls his eyes at the same time he snorts, but plays along anyway.

"Why was your mother so happy?", I ask out of curiosity.

"She never put up with the old decrepit," he whispers so his parents don't hear us. "They had a little war between the two of them. Today she finally gets rid of her for good."

"Alexa has won."

"That's right, she's celebrating her victory big time."

And what a celebration! I'm sure she'll regret it tomorrow morning. Hangovers with wine are the worst.

"They make a nice couple", I think out loud as I stand watching them from the steps with my husband.

"They are perfect for each other," my husband adds. "Like us."

I turn to face him and wrap my hands around his neck.

"I love you, Adriano", a small grimace is drawn on his face, although he doesn't reply. We are progressing. "Get ready to hear it many times, because I won't get tired of repeating it."

"I...I love you too, cara."

My breath catches on the spot as I struggle to swallow the lump in my throat.

He has said it, with all lyrics.

He loves Me ...

God! Adriano Di Lauro has declared to me!

"You have broken all my rules. The day I met you I knew you were the perfect wife for me. However, I could never predict what our marriage would become." Tears begin to flow uncontrollably. I waited so long for this moment..., but not even in my wildest dreams did it happen this way. "You have healed my children, you love them as if you had given birth to them. You have given me a new life, happiness, another child", he takes one of his hands to my belly and it is impossible for me to contain a shudder. "You have given yourself to me without reservation."

I have lost my speech, my sense of time and place. I even feel like floating in the air.

"You have not only melted the metal, Cassandra," he continues, "but you have molded it to your shape, to your liking. You found the crack in my shield and slipped through it until there was no empty space. You are mine, cara , just as I am yours. It was hard for me to accept it and I must have been about to lose you to do it, but I love you. Just don't expect to hear it very often."

He kisses my lips gently before picking me up without warning.

"What are you doing?", I get excited with the sudden movement.

"I'll take you inside," he replies as he leads us back into the living room. "I don't want you to catch a cold. Tomorrow you will have new medical checkout."

"I've already done all exams all," I remind him.

"It doesn't matter", he refutes with a tone that admits of no reply. "You will do them again, to be sure. And you are eating very little, I will tell the specialist to indicate you a special diet."

I let out a long breath.

"I'm only three weeks old and things are going like this."

"And get used to it, because I'm not going to lose sight of you."

From today I can predict the following months will be the most difficult of my life.

"Now, it's time to spend some quality time with your husband."

"Oooh," I smack my lips, enjoying the ride to our room, "I like the sound of that idea."

"That makes two of us", he kisses my forehead as he deposits me on the bed with extreme care. I must clarify that I am not made of glass, but right now I want him to pamper myself a little. "First things first," he points out before handing me two folders and a pen.

"What is this?", I ask. However, my question is answered as soon as I read the first line.

'Annulment agreement'

"You need to sign it so that the prenuptial agreement is officially annulled.

With a smile on my lips, I sign without hesitation. The rules are over, the clauses, I'm free. Free to love my husband.

I move on to the other file and then, a loud gasp comes out of my mouth.

I can not believe it. That is...

"Adriano..." I try to detail his facial features, but tears make it difficult for me to see.

"Although the contract no longer exists, there is a clause that I wish to fulfill. Sign this and legally you will be the mother of my children."

Adoption papers. He's offering me to adopt Fede and Ella.

It is difficult for me to describe sensations which invade me. This is not what I expected.

"I..." I stammer. "Are you sure?"

"Are you kidding me?". It's amazing to see how lightly he acts. "You've been their mother for a long time now. This is just a legal process."

"No," I object as I rub my nose, "it's much more than that."

This paper is a sign of gratitude, love, devotion..., but above all, trust.

"Then why do you hesitate so much?"

Suddenly, laughter mixes with tears.

"You're right."

Without wasting another second, I stamp my name on the sheet of paper. Now I can shout it to the world with all my might: Stella and Federico Di Lauro are my children... mine and Adriano's.

'Ours'