Jack
I wouldn't lie to you

Mellie
You don't even know me

Jack
Ouch
Jerk

Mellie
I'm sorry
You know what I mean

Jack
You're right
Goodnight Melanie

Mellie
Don't be like that

Read 9:17 PM

Mellie
Jackkkkk

Read 9:18 PM

Mellie
You are so sassy

Read 9:18 PM

Mellie
Fine, goodnight Jack
I'm joking
I'm sorry
We're friends

Jack
Ok I forgive you

I sigh at my phone and chuckle. Words start entering my head, so I quickly open the notes app.

I pinned your hands behind your back
Thought I had reason to attack
Why'd I have to break what I love so much
It's all today, and I'm to blame
It's all me, just don't go
Meet me in .........

These words come fast in waves. If I don't write them down, I'll lose them. They don't make sense all the time, but usually I can piece them together. But never on my own.

Impulsively, I click FaceTime on Jacks information, and bring my phone up to my face.

After a couple rings, he picks up, "Who is this?"

"Shut up," I laugh, but stop when I notice his surroundings. He's shoulder to shoulder with someone and there's noise in the background.

Laughs and a loud tv playing a movie. He must be with his friends.

"I'm sorry," I drop my phone to my lap, "you're busy. I'll talk to you later."

"No, no," he stands up and everyone goes quiet, "I'll be right back," he tells them.

They whistle and laugh, but it stops when he enters a room and shuts the door.

"You don't have to," I shrug, "I just had this idea and I need an opinion."

"Okay," he sits down in a chair, "I'm ready to be opinionated."

"Okay," I laugh and quickly make my way to the keyboard.

I hum out the lyrics to find the cords to Gold Rush, "So here's what I'm thinking. Instead of it being so fast like this," I play out the entrance to him, the way Gracie and I had done, "Maybe it should be slowed down. Here," I play it slowed down.

He seems deep in thought, "Play it fast again."

I do as he says, and he sits up, "I like it slower. Will you play the first verse? And sing it?"

"I guess," my stomach turned at his request, no pressure.

"Gleaming Twinkling
Eyes like sinking ships
On water
So inviting I almost jump in
But I don't like a gold rush gold rush
I don't like anticipating my face in a red flush
I don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch
Everybody wants you
Everybody wonders what it would be like to love you
Walk past
Quick brush
I don't like slow motion
Double vision
In a rose flush
I don't like that falling feels like flying to the bone crush
Everybody wants you
But I don't like a gold rush"

"Melanie," he sighs, "are you sure acting isn't gonna work out?"

"Oh my god," my face falls into my hands and I can hear him laughing.

"I'm joking," he says in between laughs, "you're literally the best singer I've ever heard."

"Don't flatter me," I peak through my hands.

He chuckles, "But I'm serious. Whatever. I like the slower intro into the song. It makes it feel smooth I guess."

"Yeah," I nod, "I can hear that too."

"Are there any more that I can get a sample from? Monday is too far away," he nods.

I smile, "You'll have to wait."

He jokingly rolls his eyes, "Well, if you need help on anything else, call me. I love hearing your voice."

"I will," my hands subconsciously come up to cover my warming cheeks.

He loves to hear my voice.

"I'm sorry for messing up your night," I grimace but he shrugs.

"You didn't," he smiles, "we were just messing around. They probably don't even miss me."

"Okay," I smile, "I'll let you get back to them. Goodnight, Jack."

"Goodnight, Mellie," he smiles one last time before hanging up.

I throw my body onto my bed and scream into my pillow. That was literally the best FaceTime I've ever FaceTimed.

When sentences start forming in my head, I rush over to get my phone.

Maybe it's the way you say my name
Maybe it's the way change the game

After typing those down, I come to a block. Nothing else is coming to mind, but it's okay because I've already worked on two songs tonight.

But two isn't enough, and it's only 9:30.

I sit down at my desk, and pull out my songwriting notebook, that I never use, and start writing lyrics down from my phone.

I have two headings written down: Dandelions and All Of The Girls You Loved Before

Consistency has never been my thing, so it makes sense that one song has a 7 word title, and the other is one word.

Way to draw them in, Mel.

I wanted the lyrics I just typed down to go under Dandelions, because I already have a rhyme in my head for it.

I scribble down the words and hum out a tune. Going to voice recordings, I just hit record and kept going, redoing different parts several times.

Cause I'm in a field of dandelions
Wishing on every one that you'd be mine, mine
And I feel safe in your eyes
I feel okay when I see you smile, smile

Okay not too shabby. I can work with that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N
Sorry it's short, there's only so much pretend songwriting a girl can do <3