Chapter 10: Too Little, Too Late

——————————🪡——————————

Thistlewit spun around the kitchen as Flittle smashed some cake dough with a rolling pin. They were all preparing to celebrate Aurora's birthday, and the day that they could finally go back to the kingdom and become fairies again.

"I'm so happy we're leaving tomorrow." Thistlewit commented, as she spun around.

Knotgrass turned to her with furrowed brows, holding a bowl of flour. "We are not leaving tomorrow."

Thistlewit looked confused. "Tomorrow is Aurora's sixteenth birthday."

"And Stefan told us to take her back the day after her birthday." Knotgrass said.

Thistlewit held up her finger. "No. He said on her birthday."

"No. The day after her birthday." Knotgrass corrected.

"On."

Knotgrass tossed a bit of flour at Thistlewit in frustration. "After."

Thistlewit through some back at her in retaliation. "On."

"After."

"On."

"After!"

"On!"

"After!"

"On!"

The two argued very loudly, throwing flour at each other. Flittle stood up and tried to intervene, but Knotgrass threw flour at her too. Flittle fought back by hitting Knotgrass on the cheek, and her magic accidentally turned half of Knotgrass's face blue.

The other two fairies pointed and started laughing at her.

"What?" Knotgrass asked. She turned to look in a nearby mirror and gasped when she saw. "How could you?!"

The two continued to laugh and argue with each other until the door to the cottage opened and Aurora entered.

She slowly closed the door and looked at her three aunties that were covered in flour.

"I need to talk to you about something." Aurora started.

"Oh, yes sweetie, what is it?" Flittle asked.

Aurora slowly approached her aunts, and spoke. "I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but I'll be sixteen tomorrow..."

The three fairies perked up and rushed around the kitchen for a few moments. They came back and presented Aurora with a very wonky and lopsided cake.

"I'm leaving home." Aurora blurted out.

The fairies faces fell from happy to shocked, as they dropped the cake onto the floor out of surprise.

Knotgrass held up a very stern and shaky finger. "Now, see here young lady. I did not spend sixteen years in this miserable hovel with these two imbeciles—!"

Flittle and Thistlewit looked at her and gasped.

"Shush! So that you could ruin it on the last day. We are taking you back to your father, and..." Knotgrass suddenly fell silent when she mentioned Aurora's father.