Chapter 1: The Mario Brothers

(Recommended soundtrack Mario Underground theme)

Beneath the Mushroom Kingdom, a dozen toat sewer workers fled in panic. More than one of them stumbled over his stubby legs and yelped in terror as the green-shelled monsters popped out of the immense green pipes which sprawled across the dank corridors and walkways like vines in a jungle.

"Koopas! Koopas! Someone sound the alarm!" A blue-spotted toad foreman yelped as one of the turtle-like monsters gave chase. A nearby green-spotted toad sprinted with everything he had, his eyes fixed on a big red button.

"Going somewhere, little guy!" A koopa troopa closed in behind the toad, who screamed and jumped with everything he had left.

"Ahhhh!" With all his might, the toad pressed down. The entire sewer system erupted with a piercing alarm less than a moment later.

"Yes! Now everyone out!" The foreman tried to guide his workers to safety, but a spiked fist struck him from behind, sending the little creature to the ground in sharp pain. "Oof!" He tried to get up when the blue-shelled Koopa captain seized him.

"Release King Bowser!" The Koopa snarled as his beaked face pressed against the Toad foreman's sweat-soaked face.

"Ahhhh! Help!" He closed his eyes when the Koopa captain arched his fist back.

"Let's-a go!" The koopa froze as another stronger voice echoed through a green pipe. He and the foreman turned just in time for a flash of red and blue to fly out.

"Ahhh!" The other Koopa troopas shivered when their blue-shelled captain flew past them and slammed into a wall only to bounce off and knock over two more Koopas. The foreman and other toads cried out in a chorus of exuberant cheers as the short, mustached man in red and blue overalls took a fighting stance.

"It's, it's!" Three koopas stuttered and held each other.

"It's-a me, Mario!"

"Yaaaah!" Another higher-pitched scream echoed from another pipe, and moments later, a flash of green and blue crashed into two more koopas. The blow likewise sent them into a spin and down a waterway.

"Ohhh, and Luigi." The taller and slimmer mustached man got up and rubbed his head with a dazed expression.

"Tha Mario Brothers! We're saved!" The toads sang.

"Are we really gonna do this again, Koopas? It's starting to get old." Mario watched the fear vanish from their eyes, replaced by sheer determination.

"For King Bowser!" The remaining Koopas charged hands out.

"Hmp, mamma mia." Mario shook his head but immediately jumped up and into the first turtle monster. The blow sent the Koopa right out of his shell, revealing his pink-hearted underwear.

"Yaaah!" He tried to cover himself and stumbled into the waterway. Without breaking stride, Mario kicked the empty shell into his hand and then threw it into the ground.

"Look out!" Another two koopas tried and failed to escape and soon found themselves knocked into the river. Luigi took a deep breath and smacked both of his cheeks.

"Ok, you can do this, you can do this. Ahhh!" He closed his eyes and ran to the nearest koopas. Both laughed at the series of drunken punches he threw in the air, at least until the blows hit and sent both spinning on their backs. "Huh, ahh! Ha! Take that you stupid koopaaaaahs!" Luigi screamed when both shells came right for him.

"Luigi, jump!" Mario cried and then exhaled in relief as his younger brother leaped high into the air, his legs sputtering. Luigi came down on an upper platform and saw two more koopas waiting for him. "Yaaah! Get away!" Luigi spun himself around like a propeller, and both monsters screamed just before the blows sent them flying into the sewer water.