XII. diss track

Iriside                                                            •••

Liked by badlinu and 28,362 othersIriside i've been thinking a lot lately about my perception of myself and how i'm constantly searching for 'more' in my life, but also the fear of growing up that most people, including myself, seem to have

Iriside i've been thinking a lot lately about my perception of myself and how i'm constantly searching for 'more' in my life, but also the fear of growing up that most people, including myself, seem to have. songwriting has always been the way i've found to get my emotions down, and i've always found the best songs to be the one that share the human experience, so please enjoy this glimpse into my brain, lyrics below <3

right now i'm sitting in my room writing a song
it's never felt like home here much
but i guess it's not far off
my mum is in the kitchen
my clothes are on the floor
homesick disposition with one foot out the door
and i live in the suburbs
but it's a quick drive into town
i pretend it's new york city when no one else is around
i see parents and their kids there on the lawn
i forget that in a year it'll be gone
cause i miss this, but i'm living it
wish i could grab life by the shoulders
and scream i'm sick of getting older
cause i miss this, but i'm living it
one day i'll move on, one day i'll move out
and i'll wish that i was where i am right now

View all 3,276 comments
02 June 2021

the taller man all but raced to meet tommy, wrapping the shorter boy in a hug as they reached each other. "hey, mate. how's it going?"

"yeah, alright, james," tommy grinned up at the other streamer. "there's someone i want you to meet, though. james, this is iris. iris, james."

iris waved to james, and he didn't make any moves to walk any closer to her, sensing that she was uncomfortable."i've been pestering tommy to meet you for ages, but he kept putting it off. i saw your song that you posted this morning, absolutely incredible."

iris laughed nervously, and tried to force herself to be normal. "oh thank you! i listened to no left brain, and i loved it. i got those custom vinyls that don't technically work but i wanted to add it to my collection anyway."

"she's got an ungodly amount of american poetry club in her room, you fit right in." tommy chimed in.

james instantly melted. "you're joking, you're not serious, are you? that's- oh, iris!" he smiled, soft and wide, and tommy instantly knew the two were going to get along. "that's so nice! i'm so glad you liked them! we've actually got another work we're working on now, i could get you a CD when it comes out?"

"i'd love that!" she said eagerly. "seriously, that would be amazing. i'd face reveal just to brag about it." tommy and james laughed, and tommy noted how this time she'd relaxed a lot faster. music was the most direct line to iris's heart, and james seemed to know that instinctively. they were the same like that.

"if you ever wanted help on the more production-based side of music, don't hesitate to give me a call," james offered. "obviously our sounds are a lot different, but i know how hard it can be wanting to produce music in the middle of a pandemic, and i'm more than happy to assist in whatever way i can."

iris felt like she wanted to cry. "seriously, that's so nice. if you ever need backing vocals on a depressing ballad, i'm your girl," she pointed at herself with her thumb and laughed, semi-self deprecatingly, but james actually nodded.

"i actually do have something i could use your help on. the lyrics and the track's all done, but i was gonna hook up with maia for the backing vocals. she's working on her own stuff, though, so if you're free i'd love for you to give it a listen? see if you're into it?"

"absolutely," james had barely finished his sentence before iris was rushing out her answer. "seriously. i am so in. literally any excuse to work on music,"

tommy watched as the two of them chatted earnestly, smile worming it's way onto his face. he reached out and took hold of iris's hand. james's eyes flicked downwards, looking curiously at tommy, who just flushed, bringing his spare hand to scratch that back of his neck. iris didn't even notice, too entranced in listened to the other musician tell a story about matt and jono, promising that the next time she was in brighton, he'd drag them to meet her.

"we should write something together at one point, when things settle down." james suggested, and tommy felt his heart racing against his ribcage. he'd always knew they'd get on, but this exceeded all of his expectations. maybe james could offer some advice about the way he'd been feeling lately.

"as long as it's a tommyinnit diss track, i'm in."