You thought you were seeing things, but you could have sworn you saw Erwin smile. Not the smile of genuine happiness, but a smile full of sadness and sorrow.

"I know," he said, lowering his head. "I'm a horrible person."

"Y/n, that's enough," Levi said, holding your wrist this time. "Erwin, what's your plan?"

"We're going to take the boy under our wings."

You let out a gasp as you watched Erwin stand up. Before he said it out loud, you had an idea what he meant when he said Levi will also be part of his gamble.

"And you, Levi," he started as you can feel Levi's hand tighten around your wrist. He knew too. "You are the only soldier capable of restraining him."

Levi didn't say anything for a while, he had his head lowered, so you couldn't see the expression he's making. And when he looked up his face had gone back to being stoic as he stood up and gave your hand a squeeze before letting go.

"So you want me to keep an eye on him like a dog on a leash."

"Exactly. But before that, we need all the rights to put a leash on him."

"And how exactly are we going to do it?"

Erwin looked at Levi before his eyes trailed to you for a second until he looked back at Levi.

"We need to show everyone that you're the only one capable of putting a leash on him first. And that will make them realize that you're the only capable of keeping a hold of that leash."

Erwin turned around and started to walk. The two of them need to go to the Capital, where the boy will be held in trial. As Levi followed Erwin, he was almost at the door when a voice suddenly made him stop abruptly.

"Papa,"

You looked behind to see your five year old son standing by the wall. You didn't know how long he'd been standing there, considering how light his footsteps are and his barefoot again.

"Lucas, did you just wake up?" you asked, walking up to your son. "You shouldn't walk around barefoot."

"Is papa leaving again?"

Levi turned around and walked towards his son before crouching down to get to his eye level. He lifted his hand and placed it on top of Lucas' head.

"I'll see you when I'm back, son."

The little boy nodded his head as he rubbed his eyes before Levi stood up. Your son moved closer to you, holding your fingers with his hand as he waved goodbye to his father, knowing that both of you don't know when exactly he'll be back again.

And you get the feeling that it will be a while, now that he was given another great burden to carry. You really wished you could share some of it. The burden of humanity's strongest soldier.

Time flowed again, without missing a single second. Levi is not the only one sending letters now. His Squad would occasionally send letters addressed not just to you but also to Lucas. Petra Ral and the others wanted to meet Lucas again, the last time they did was when your son had just learned how to walk. Now you told them he can run, and he's a fast runner too. He enjoys running in the backyard, pretending to be a soldier with his wooden swords.

But after a while you stopped receiving letters, they told you that they were getting ready for an Expedition to reclaim Wall Maria and they wouldn't have time to write letters. The last words written in their last letter are the same words as what you've told them five years ago.

Let's meet again someday!

But that someday never came, because the next time you received a letter, it came with a heart wrenching news.

All the members of Levi Squad were killed in action during the Expedition.

Levi came home the next day, he sustained an injury which he tried to hide but he really can't hide anything from you. At least, except the tears he shed when you were asleep.

"Papa," his son called during dinner, before Levi could space out again.

"Hm?" he hummed, turning his full attention to his son.

"Miss Florence asked me what I want when I grow up."

You smiled, hearing how cheerful your son's voice is. And when you look at Levi, you could see the sadness in his eyes fading.

"And what did you say?" he asked.

"I said when I grow up, I want to be a soldier like papa."

Levi's smile didn't vanish, but sadness came back to his eyes.

"A soldier like me," he muttered before he put his hand on his son's head. He didn't say anything else, just smiled at him gently. He couldn't bring himself to say that a soldier like him is doomed to lose every single one of his comrades.

"Then, if Lucas wants to be a soldier like papa," you said, making the father and son look at you. "He must first be mama's little cadet."

"I'm already mama's little cadet!"

You looked at Levi, your eyes said it all. A soldier like him is not doomed to lose every single one of his comrades. He still has you. And his little cadet who's been a fighter from the moment he was born into this world.

The world that Levi promised to create, the world where this kid can grow up with a smile on his face.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

FIN

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

A/n: A big thank you for reading and sticking around until the Epilogue despite the times when I didn't update for so long. Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened. And I'm happy that I get to finish another book!

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃