Chapter 51

Eshaan Ghafor

The morning was a mess. Everyone was running here and there. Mom cooked at least 20 different foods. I even ordered 10 more. I went out and bought some dry snacks and fresh fruits.

The house was cleaned like a new one. I never show this cleared. Dad taunted mom, that if she wanted she would do it more often.

Mom glared at him, dad hid behind the newspaper. Maira saw this and laughed while eating, she got scolded. Mom shoved her into the shower and prepared her clothes. Aunty (Suzan's mom) was preparing a dessert. When Suzan came in. We had eye contact but she looked away and got busy with her work.

I didn't see any difference in Aunty's behaviour, so I guessed Suzan hadn't told her anything.

I sat down for a while, picked my phone and looked at the time. She will be here after 12 p.m. so there's still 2 hours left.

Time went by, Afsana came with Maliha Aunty (Nanny) but Adira wasn't with them.

"Where is Adira?" Maira asked after greeting them.

Maliha Aunty smiled at her. "She went to college. Her few assignments were left to submit. She said she'll come directly." Maira pouted.
Afsana and Suzan dragged Maira to get ready. Maliha Aunty went inside our kitchen to meet mom.

Dad went to receive Farhan's family.
They're on their way. I decided to change my clothes too. When I was passing Maira's room, I heard Afsana's voice. "Adira even dressed up for you. Why does your face look so down? Don't worry. She wore a beautiful baby pink dress, it's all for her best friend. Now get ready, or Farhan's dad will think we are forcing you into this marriage." Maira playfully shoved Afsana and they laughed.

I smiled seeing this. A little pining in my chest made me want to see her. I went to my room and chose a baby pink Panjabi.

For the first time in my life, I applied some moisturiser on my face, and set my hair perfectly. I picked my most favourite watch and applied the best Cologne.

They came, Farhan and I did a bro hug, her dad was kind of a serious looking man. Females went inside and men sat in the living room.

They all talked and got to know the family. Told their condition. That the marriage will be after Maira's exam. Farhan was thinking of coming here and doing some business. And other stuff. Dad told mom to bring Maira. I also went with her, Maira kept trying to call someone.

When she saw us coming she stood up.

"Put your dupatta on. They're calling." Maira did and put her phone down.

"What happened?" I asked and she shook her head. "Adira isn't picking her phone, now it's switched off. I think she isn't coming." She said and Mom took her down. I pulled out my phone and called her. Switch off?

That's weird.

They all ate, and praised the door very much. Maira's mood was now coming back to normal.

It was already past 3 p.m. Afsana was getting worried. No phone calls, we couldn't even reach her phone.
It was prayer time, so we all went to the mosque. When I was about to enter the mosque, I saw a familiar looking car drive away.
"That's Adira's car." I felt so relieved and prayed my namaz with others.

When we all came back, I found her car wasn't parked. "It wasn't her?" My sixth sense wasn't ready to accept that. I know her car very well.

We all went inside. I sat down with others, talking and having tea.

I went to the side and decided to try again. This time the phone rang, I came outside. My heart was beating fast, I don't think it would calm down without hearing her voice, making sure she's okay.