“We could get mom to drive us if you want.” Jake mentions.

I bite my lip, I’ve already given her enough trouble this morning, “Nah. Let’s go. I’ll just leave it here.”

He opens the door, “You sure?”

I nod my head, waving him out, “Come on, we’ll be late.”

I know it was a mistake to leave my tailors dummy at home when Maddy gives me the evil smile I’ve come to fear, on the way to art. “Who needs the mannequin when we’ve got a real live model?”

I groan, “Trust you to think that.” Then an idea comes to my mind, “Who’s going to make the dress then? Hmmmm? I can’t really do anything to it if I’m the one wearing it.” I start to get a sinking feeling though when Maddy just gives me a ‘wait and see’ smile…

We walk into the empty art room, absent of Sarah to our surprise. Maddy’s tone becomes more serious though as she asks me the big question, “So have you talked to Linc?”

I put my things down on the table and start to take my dress out, starting to feel a bit nervous, “Well… he called me and we talked a bit on the weekend…”

“So what’s going on? Are you two friends? Enemies? Frenemies? Hate each other’s guts? I’d kind of like to find out where you guys stand before I start calling him a bird on drugs.”

I laugh softly, “I… I think we’re ok. I don’t know…” Maddy gives me this weird i-can’t-really-wink-so-I’ll-just-twitch-my-eye look. “What the hell was that?”

“The secret code.” She stage whispers, “Wink at me if he’s annoying you and I’ll help you out.”

I chuckle, “Is that what it was?”

“Ladies! Guess who brought PB&J’s today?!” Tom waltzes in, waving a lunchbox over his head in triumph.

“I think I might need to ban food in the art room.” We all whirl around to see Sarah sitting on her desk.

“Where’d you come from?” Maddy asks.

She hooks her thumb behind her, “Store room.”

That’s when I see the door, “Huh. I never noticed it before.”

Sarah smiles and gets up, “We’re getting it painted so it does.” She pats the wood affectionately, “Poor thing’s feeling neglected.”

Maddy pushes me forward, “Can Hailey quickly change in there? She couldn’t bring her tailor’s dummy in today so I made the suggestion that she wears it herself.”

I nudge her, “Your almighty plan has a flaw in it Oh Holy Cow.”

“Hey!” Maddy exclaims crossly.

“Who’s going to work on the dress if I’m wearing it?”

Maddy slings her arm around Sarah’s shoulders, “Sarah is.”

“But… But we’re meant to be doing the project not the teacher…” I try desperately.

Sarah opens the storeroom door and gestures inside, “I’d be happy to help Hailey.”

I groan and walk in, shooting a glare after Maddy who gives me a smug grin, “And you called me a cow.”

I shut the door in her face and turn around to face the dimly lit room full of paper, stationary and other bits and bobs. I scan the room for any secret windows before I swap my jeans and my blue open-necked jumper for the dress.

Surviving the McLane Boys ('On Hold Still...')जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें