iv. Small Town Blues

chapter iv , Small Town Blues ,
I Sing I Dance and I Am Reminded Of You

chapter iv  ,    Small Town Blues   ,  I Sing I Dance and I Am Reminded Of You

˗ˏˋ 🫐 'ˎ˗

          Indie didn't waste a single second after Mrs. Hawthorne left her room, scrambling as fast as her feet would carry her out the double doors, an all too familiar feeling of relief leaving her. Not daring to sneak a glance at the haunting orphanage as she sped walked down the pavement. The uncomfortable ache inside her body, faded inch by inch the further she was from the shelter she lived under with much hesitance. And the previous events were just another example as to why she was counting down the days till her eighteenth birthday when she could finally be free.

          As she continued to stroll down the sidewalk, dragging her luggage as quietly as she could across the gravel at nine o'clock in the morning. The wind blew a delicate breeze through her hair, it felt good ... nice actually. The coolness against her flushed skin and stiff posture brought a sense of relief and relaxation. Her breathing had slowly returned to a normal and healthy pace, no longer whizzing in anxiety and rush to escape her misfortune.

          Then as she passed the final corner of the middle strip of buildings, her eyes immediately floated to the spot and she paused in her step. She breathed in and held it as she just ... stared. Then ... a crease formed on her forehead, her bangs tingling her skin as it did so. Had it opened again? Was it open?

          Marion's Parlor, in question, was the very place Indie had spent most of her summer days before her mother passed. Celine Monet found employment there a year after the two moved to Kingsbury. And so for ten-plus years, the mother and daughter duo created a newfound family with the owners. A man and woman created the business on their own. The man; Richard and the woman; Marion. The homemade bakery soon skyrocketed into popularity when the public learned of the authenticity and love poured into each batch of cookies, muffins, and so much more.

At some point, Indie has grown to see the two as her grandparents — their relationship with Celine made the title seem well-suited. At that moment as she remembered all the good times, Indie could faintly head; in the back of her mind, her mother's laughter and the playful scolding Miss Marion would play out with a young Indie. It brought a tug of the lip, shortly followed by pressing her lips together, to prevent any signs of sadness.

Indie loved Miss Marion, the woman was undoubtedly the nicest person she's ever had the pleasure of meeting; after her mother, of course. The older lady was a true gem to be met with. On summer evenings when a young indie would sit on the cold marble counter, rambling on and on about her friend Beau or her good grades in her boarding school — Miss Marion would be nearby gazing at her granddaughter with so much love and interest. To her indie held the world in her hands; to her indie was the center of her world.