Immortality's Curse

Začít od začátku

He wanted to believe in something bigger than himself for once. Yet, in choosing one, he gave up the other.

The Six-eared Macaque, being that price.

Even now, he could hear the crunch of bone, the wrecked gasp of Macaque's last breath, uttering the word "Wu..kong..." before his fingers lost their strength, and feel limp to the floor. His face was riddled with absolute terror. It haunted his waking day, emerging in flashes when he dared to close his eyes. The mighty Monkey King could go over and over again why he had no choice. Why he never meant to go as far as he did. Why he regrets every single second...

Pointless wonders if there was some other way. If he had just done something different and found a better solution, would things be different?

When he returned to his companions to journey West, he was welcomed back with a more understanding outlook. He had been exiled from the party for a time by his Master for his use of violence. It felt almost hypocritical that he was welcomed back after performing a far worse crime.

For days on end, he repeated the words, He had no choice, in his mind.

What's done is done.

He couldn't reverse time. He couldn't get Lui'er back, no matter how hard he tried. All he could do was keep walking forward, even if his feet were heavy and his heart was broken.

It was funny actually.

When the Journey to the West was done, he achieved what he needed to. Gained a sort of enlightenment, glory , and fame that would outlive the mortal realm itself. And all it required was to lose far more than was ever gained. 

Hilarious... right?

Unable to share this oh so hilarious tidbit with anyone, the years crawled by slowly. One after another, bearing bitter memories and an unbearable silence. The celestial realm had found itself in an uncommon era of peace. Of course, there was a hiccup from time to time. An unruly demon, a power hungry god, a easily pissed off Bull King wanting to rule the mortal realm- yada yada yada~ Which, Wukong couldn't exactly ignore. The earth realm was his realm too and he rather liked his mountain to be left alone.

Plus, old habits die hard. It would be a waste to just let the realm fall to ruin when his departed friends of the West had cherished it so much. In the name of nostalgia, Wukong picked up his staff one last time and took to the battle field to meet his old war buddy.

It ended, like all things tend to, with Wukong winning. With Wukong striking him down. Same ending, different story. Predictably horrendous.

"Should have stayed with your wife..." Wukong whispered as the dust cleared, leaving him alone upon a small monkey made mountain.

He stood at the highest peak, a strong breeze ruffling his hair. Below, the jostled mountain shook for only a moment, before falling deathly still. DBK was gone, buried for as long as his staff was indebted into the earth's surface.

Slowly slipping his fingers from his trusty weapon, he took a slow step back. An empty feeling washed over him, recalling his friend below. He was the last one. The last person Wukong had truly trusted to know, to call his friend, and he just buried him miles below the ground. It was enough to make him laugh. A bitter taste of humor dotting his tongue. He was considered reformed by many nowadays. Wiser, and overall more approachable than when he first emerged from his mountain, with hardly a care for those who stood before him. He half agreed he truly was better now, but this enlightenment he possessed seemed to just involve him getting rid of everyone he's ever known before.

Which was the right thing to do.

...Wasn't it?

"DBK..." he ran his hand down his face, exhausted. He had put up a good fight... he just wished the demon's crazed ideas of grandeur and conquest could have been quenched. That they could have talked this out...