An Undiscovered Dream: Chapter 2

As I stand at the counter in Subway the next day, ringing up drinks and subs, I find myself glancing at the clock on the wall right above the door every forty-five seconds. "Finally" I think as the minute hand slowly reaches the 12, the hour hand on the 2, which signals that it's time for my break. I walk outside without my coat, happy to see that the weather is surprisingly warm for mid-march. I check my cell phone to find three new messages and a missed call from Addy. Each message relatively said the same thing.

"30 more hours until we leave" ~Addy

"28 more hours until we leave" ~Addy

"26 more hours until we leave!" ~Addy

I enter the passcode on my phone to hear the voicemail she left me.

"Hey, Soph! I know you're working right now, but I just wanted to remind you that Cimorelli's concert is...(long silence)... TOMORROW NIGHT! I can't wait, and I'm sure you can't either. I'm gonna end up crying, omg. Well, anyway, I thought you could use some cheering up witle on break because I know how empty the store is during the day. I'm still staying over tonight, right? Well, text me when you get the chance. I'll talk to you when your shift is over. Only a few hours to-" I hear a click and laugh. Addy is always known for leaving long messages, usually getting cut off before she can finish.

I text her back and thank her for the lon gmessage, letting her know that our plans of a sleepover are still on, and then I go back into the store. As I step inside the door, I look up to the restaurant part of the store and end up catching eyes with Jordan, the nineteen year old cute co-worker. We went to school together, as he was a year ahead of me, but we never really talked until we started working together -- about four months ago. I had been working at Subway for two months when the manager hired him. I've always had a crush on him, but never did anything about it because of his popularity at school. He was well-liked, and he was friends with everyone. I was always too scared to talk to him, and when he started working at the store, Addison thought we would get closer, which she was right. We are scheduled on the same shift a lot, especially at night when very few people want to work. When the store is empty, he always finds ways to make me laugh, and he always flirts with me. He also likes to pick on me about my obsession with the Cims, but one day when we were on break, I showed him a few videos and now he's secretly hookes. He doesn't like anyone to know, but he's admitted to me a few times that he's a fan.

I walk back to the back room to clock in, and as I'm going back to the counter, I walk past the Sub shop.

"Hey, Sophia, I'm sure you're excited for the 'amazing' concert tomorrow night, but I'm sorry to say that Jenna can't work tomorrow and I told her you'd take her place," he says, though he's obviously just messing with me.

"Very funny, Jordan," I say while rolling my eyes.

"What? I had to try," he says smiling.

I walk behind the counter and take the spot where Kenzie is standing. Mackenzie, Kenzie for short, is a shy junior who doesn't really talk much. I have picked up conversations with her in the past, where she told me that her younger brother is autistic and both of her parents work two jobs, so they stick Josh with her most of the time. She has a few hours after school to herself, though, which she spends earning extra money for her family. Then, she goes home and spends the rest of the night looking after her brother. I feel bad for her, honestly. After my father died, I couldn't keep up with my school work, and I eventually quit talking to everyone around me. My studies came last. I don't know how she can handle work and Josh, with school piled on top of it all.

I was only at the counter for about two minutes, thinking it was going to be a slow day, when a group of about eleven people walked into the store. This was how it went for the rest of the afternoon, as well. I didn't get five seconds to myself, as I was constantly ringing up customers' groceries, and the end of my shift came faster than I expected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading Chapter 2. I know I'm really slow at keeping up with posted, and I apologize. I've been busy and haven't had the time to write.

I'd really love your input on the story. Do you like it? Should I keep going? I don't want to keep writing if ya'll think it's stupid and don't like it.