Chapter 2: The Best Response

Începe de la început

And then, Lincoln stands before Mr. Burton, confident in his own abilities. He, of course, was not afraid of any of the current company, the coaches or their charges. And so he asked in a heartfelt way:

- What business is it of yours?

The coach didn't understand Lincoln's outburst, so he decided to defend himself as best he could.

- What do you mean, what business it is of mine?

- I'm asking you! - Lincoln didn't let him finish, - What business is it of yours who I'm waiting for or why I'm waiting? I want to figure the thing out, and I don't give a damn if you try to stop me.

- What do you mean figure it out? Quit it immediately, - said Mr. Burton, though there was already a hint of fear in his voice at the lad.

- You quit it. Tell me, have you ever intervened in any conflict to stop it? Have you ever done any justice? Never in all my time! When I've been hurt by your henchmen, you haven't said a word to them. But when I just want to fight for my rights, you're here. I may be surrounded by cowards who don't want to change things, but I'm not one of them. So get out of here and stay out of my way. Otherwise, you will regret you've ever messed up with me.

The menacing tone with which Lincoln made his short but persuasive speech caused the coach to back down. Then Lincoln, finding the bully who had offended him and who was ready to leave the locker room, caught up with him and beat him, while the others around him only looked back at Lincoln with fear, now knowing that he could stand up for himself.

But then Lincoln's train of thought was interrupted by the coach, who repeated his question.

- Hey, I'm asking you, who are you waiting for?

Lincoln, much less confident than he imagined, still asked that question, rather thoughtlessly.

- What business is it of yours?

- What do you mean, what business it is of mine?

And then the coach stepped closer to Lincoln, but even in his gaze at that moment one could trace a kind of indifference, a cowardice. Apparently he didn't want to deal with any of the teenagers, knowing their temperament, and what they were good for sometimes. He knew. He had experience in dealing with them. But Lincoln wasn't the kind of sporty kid who could hurt even an adult, so when he saw that he couldn't give a coherent answer, he dared to move on.

- What's the damn matter with you, huh? Are you crazy?

- I just wanted to figure the conflict out!

- I've had enough of you and your conflicts. If you don't leave now, I'll call the police.

- Huh, well, call the police!

- I see you've lost your place here, you little brat. Don't forget who you are! Go on, get out of here!

Those words struck Lincoln right in the heart. Especially aggravating was the way the boys started laughing at him for starting an argument but not being able to follow through, but rather standing in a stupor waiting for something to happen. That's the kind of insecurity they started laughing at him for. All he lacked was confidence with perseverance. He couldn't even tell them "screw you all, guys", he just grabbed his things and ran out of the locker room. Straight home. Lynn, on the other hand, had been home a long time by then.

- That's how it was, - Lincoln told his sisters in conclusion, - I just chickened out and decided to leave.

- He knows they bully you and that you can't answer, yet he doesn't do anything about it! – Lori said indignantly.