CHAPTER 5

Astro didn't know he was a robot. He just thought he was Toby Tenma, Dr. Tenma's son. That night, he drifted into a peaceful sleep.

When he opened his eyes again, sunlight was streaming through his bedroom window. His dad sat at the edge of his bed, clutching his baseball cap.

"Dad?" Astro asked sleepily.

"Good morning, son," Dr. Tenma said. "How do you feel?"

"Uh, kind of weird," Astro admitted. "Have I been sick or something?"

"No, you're fine, Toby," Dr. Tenma said. "You're perfect, you're wonderful."

Astro was relieved. "That's good, cause ... "

Dr. Tenma interrupted him by gripping him in a strong hug. Astro was surprised. His dad wasn't exactly big on hugs.

"Are you okay?" Astro asked.

"Come downstairs for breakfast," his father said, smiling gently.

Dr. Tenma went downstairs, where Orrin was frantically scurrying around the kitchen. He took his seat as Orrin slapped bowls and plates in front of him.

"Breakfast is served, sir," he said. "Whole grain cereal, prune juice, figs ... "

"Ah! It's past eight o'clock!" Astro yelled from his room upstairs.

Orrin went into panic mode. Master Toby could be very unpleasant when his breakfast was late. He rolled off to get the rest of the food.

Astro ran through the kitchen doorway.

"You should have woken me earlier, Dad. I'm going to be late for school," he said, worried.

Bam! Orrin bumped into Astro, carrying a tray of croissants. The pastries spilled all over the floor. Orrin bent down to pick them up.

Astro reached down to help him.

"Orrin, are you okay? Your battery levels look a little low this morning," Astro said with concern.

Orrin spun his head around to look at Astro, surprised. Master Toby had never asked about his health before.

"Orrin?" Astro asked.

"Thank you for asking, Master Toby," Orrin said. "I'm fine, you know. Mustn't grumble."

"Sit down, Toby," Dr. Tenma said. "I want to talk to you."

"Sure, Dad," Astro said cheerfully. He took a seat at the table.

"It's about school," Dr. Tenma began. "I've decided you shouldn't go anymore, son. I'm going to teach you at homemyself."

"Sounds good to me," Astro said. "Hey, Orrin. Looks like we're going to be hanging out together."

Orrin nearly dropped the teapot he was carrying. Master Toby wasn't acting like himself at all. Dr. Tenma would not like that one bit.

"Together? Oh, well, that'll be very nice ... Master Toby ... oh dear."

Orrin dropped the teapot after all. It fell on the table with a clatter.

"Would you please stop talking to the robot?" Dr. Tenma asked Astro, annoyed. "They're not like you and me."

"Sorry," Astro said. "Hey, if you're going to be home-schooling me, what about the Ministry, your job?"

"My job now is to be your father," Dr. Tenma replied.

Still nervous, Orrin walked into a wall.

"Ouch!"