Chapter 8 - An Unworthy Mate

Start from the beginning

Her life was now on the line.

She knew the bond was fake and yet she irrationally felt Elijah was trustworthy and kind. Even after everything Mikael had told her about him being a master manipulator. She wanted to slap herself.

She had been with the Mikaelsons for two weeks now and Elijah had decided they would have breakfast without Rebekah. Just the two of them. She was a little apprehensive when he came in with food without Rebekah that morning but they ate together for a few minutes in peaceful silence before he spoke up.

"You know you can talk to me sweetheart? I am your mate," he gently tried to persuade her to speak now they were alone.

She continued to eat, unaware of what he was saying. She was embarrassed but there was nothing she could do, if she didn't understand him that was it. It was irrelevant how she felt.

"Do you not feel the bond?" He asked, leaning forwards to examine her reaction.

Maeve didn't say anything.

"I've been nothing but patient towards you for two weeks, I don't understand what I've done wrong here. Please just help me understand," Elijah pleaded with her, feeling rising irritation directed not at his mate, but at their situation.

He knew she could hear as she would respond to noise and felt angry that she wouldn't even tell him her name.

He somehow knew Mikael was to blame.

"I saved you from Mikael, every bit of pain he put you through I felt too. I nearly gave up on finding my mate thinking you had died and then I felt pain through the bond. I wish he never put you in that pain but it showed me you were alive sweetheart. That pain meant something. That I had a beautiful mate out there. You. I knew I could find you, the pain gave me hope again..."  he looked into her eyes, vulnerably baring his soul for her only to find her emotionless in return.

They had both stopped eating. Maeve was nervous, she wished Rebekah was with them. She could tell he was saying something important but didn't understand what it was. She couldn't decipher even a single word.

"Now I've found you I don't know what to do," her mate continued honestly. "You won't speak to me, or anyone else. I don't even know your name. Say something to me sweetheart. Please, anything."

Elijah had reached over a hand to touch hers on the table but Maeve pulled back slightly, unsure. He paused and hurt flashed across his face as he wondered the possibility of the worst.

"Do you not want to be my mate?"

A few seconds passed in icy silence.

"Why won't you talk to me," he yelled losing his composure out of frustration, his thighs hitting the table with such force as he stood up hastily, that the plates flew off it and shattered on the floor.

He didn't blame her, he could never. But Elijah had never been this angry before. He completely lost control and it was all due to the mate bond. Rejection was unheard of and the mere thought of it, sent his mind spinning into places he'd rather not think about.

Elijah's abrupt outburst terrified Maeve. She didn't move a muscle not even to breathe.

Mikael had been right after all. She was stupid to let her guard down even a little bit around his sons, they were just like he had told her.

As her mate stood towering over her, Maeve scrambled backwards but he followed without thinking, stalking her like an animal stalking its prey. She could hear Klaus come bounding up the stairs after hearing the plates shattering but it simply made her more fearful. She'd have to face both of them being angry at her once he came in. That prospect was even worse.

Elijah's irate gaze pinned her to the wall and he yelled at her finally losing his temper.

"Answer me. Do you not want me as your mate? Am I really so unworthy of a simple hello?"

Her silence only served to endanger their now-fragile bond even more. Elijah had always dreaded explaining his bloodthirsty nature and deeds to his mate, but he had wrongfully assumed that because they were made for each other, she would understand and forgive him.

It was clear that wasn't the case.

He was unworthy of her, she had made that clear enough. Who was he to argue with that?

After a few seconds when she didn't give any indication of his feelings being returned, he spun around on his heel turning his back to her.

Only then did he pause to listen, hearing her heart beating rapidly out of terror. He closed his eyes instantly, regretting his actions and spun back towards her to apologise and make it right again.

But his mate identified that as a physical threat.

Throwing him backwards with a spell, he crashed to the floor and she was so relieved she had been able to practice her spells at night secretly for an occasion such as this.

Elijah's heart broke as he looked up into her teary eyes filled with betrayal and heartache. All the trust they had built was broken. She was truly scared of him.

Klaus came and rushed towards Elijah to help. He put his hands up in surrender to Maeve saying "it's okay, it's going to be okay," and called for Rebekah, knowing she was easiest around her.

"I'm not going to hurt you love" Klaus said gently to keep Maeve calm.

That meant nothing to Maeve, she didn't know why they continued to bother.

She cried thinking about how Elijah would surely kill her now for not agreeing to whatever demands he had just made of her. The demands that made her so angry. It was clear she didn't trust him and he had tried long enough to get her to believe the fake bond. He was sure to give up and hurt her now.

Her life was in danger the second he recovered. Maeve felt scared and shaken right down to her bones.

Rebekah ran in and gasped as she took in the scene. Elijah was sitting up picking shards of broken plates out of his hands with Klaus by his side and Maeve was in the corner sobbing inconsolably.

A dull headache at the base of Maeve's skull had started to spread throbbing as it did so. Elijah could feel it too and knew it was due to his mate's spell. The mate bond would not allow either mate to hurt the other without consequences, a fact Mikael conveniently left out when talking to Maeve.

Elijah felt guilty as it was his fault she felt forced into a position where she needed to defend herself. He should have been more careful and understanding, treading lightly as his sister had told him too.

He heard Maeve wince at the pain in her head and chest, knowing it would be worse for her as it was the bond's punishment for using magic against him.

Rebekah shot a look at Elijah who stood up slowly.

"What the bloody hell did you do, you idiot?"

———

Poor Maeve and poor Elijah. Neither of them deserve this and if they communicated properly without Mikael's interference it would be completely different 💔

How will Elijah show his scared mate he's trustworthy now? Will she ever believe him😔

Please let me know what you think of this story so far! It's written a little differently to my other stories so any feedback is welcomed and appreciated♥️ x