Chapter 4 - One Lock of Hair

Start from the beginning

She walked out the entrance and walked slowly to her car. A minute later Daniel came running after her. She smiled, perfect.

"I'll hear you out but I'm not agreeing to anything yet," he decided, not realising it was already too late for that.

Minutes later a deal was in place. Daniel would continue as normal and when he got the chance, he would enter Elijah's room and take a few strands of hair from his pillow. Mikael had compelled him so he was unable to return to them or break the sire bond unless he had the sample and could not tell the Mikaelsons anything if he was caught.

It was a foolproof plan for Mikael. Dan was disposable and Maeve's magic would soon be his.

Once the ritual was complete, Mikael would be in full control. Forever.

***

Daniel's heart raced every time he stepped into the Mikaelson house that week. Tyler noticed and questioned him about it but Daniel gave a non-committal shrug and ignored him.

That morning, he noticed Elijah and Klaus were both downstairs distracted by Elijah's recent illness. He had been unwell for a whole week now and Daniel guessed it was to do with Mikael hiding his mate from him.

He felt sick with fear and sympathy, hating that Mikael had compelled him not to disclose the fact he had her to the Mikaelsons. He felt a bit betrayed by Apphia as she had implied he could make a choice but he had been compelled before he knew all the information.

He definitely would have reconsidered otherwise.
If the Mikaelsons suspected him, he would surely die.

Refusing to think of the danger he was putting himself in by helping hide an Original's mate, Dan knew what he had to do.

Pushing his thoughts aside, he focused his hearing to locate the other hybrids. Most of them were outside so now was his best chance. He felt sick to his stomach and wished he had never agreed to this but the compulsion was too strong.

He had no choice.

Dan crept up the stairs, cringing at every noise his feet made until he reached the door to Elijah's room. Turning the handle he slowly pushed the door open as he tiptoed inside.

He couldn't waste any time looking around. He had to get out as quickly as possible. He plucked some hair off Elijah's pillow and hid it in a vial in his pocket. Swiftly he made his way back through the door closing it behind him, praying that he was stealthy enough not to get caught.

But no such luck.

Elijah stood at the top of the stairs catching him in the very act. Dan froze with his heart in his throat.

This was the end, he knew it.

He would not see another day.

"What are you doing in there? Answer me," Elijah demanded pinning him roughly against the door by his throat. Even while sick, he was incredibly strong.

Daniel clawed at his neck, unable to respond due to Mikael's compulsion. A second later Elijah threw him to the ground.

"Turn out your pockets, what have you taken? What were you doing in there?" He asked getting angrier when he got silence in response.

Elijah was already on edge and had far too many outburst this week under the stress of knowing his mate was helplessly suffering. Daniel had just pushed him over the edge and given him someone to punish.

"I-I-I..." Dan couldn't fight the compulsion.

Turning both his pockets inside out revealed the vial with hair inside.