Fifty-Three & Fifty-Four

Start from the beginning

"No," Aston said, his eyes narrowing.

"Please?! This is going to be horrible."

"You remember when you said that your Counselor thought I should meet your Dad? And you said no? Well I think it needs to happen... right now."

"Ast, please!" I begged. I really wasn't ready for this.

"We'll go in for a few minutes," Aston reasoned, "We can always leave if things aren't going well. We should attack this one head on."

"Fine," I replied. I watched Aston climb out of the car and then jog around to my side, pulling the door open and holding his hand out for me.

"Come on," he smiled. I don't know what it was about his smile, but it instantly calmed me down. It made me feel safe, like I could take on the world.

"Ok," I replied, undoing my seat belt, grabbing Aston's hand, and jumping out of the car.

Before I could go anywhere, Aston grabbed hold of my waist with his free hand and pulled me closer to him, "It's gonna be ok," he whispered, his breath tickling my face.

Instead of responding, I grabbed hold of his neck with my own free hand and pulled his face towards mine so I could capture his lips in a kiss. "Thanks Ast," I replied when I pulled away. My heart was soaring for this boy in this moment. I think I was actually feeling love for him.

"Let's do this," he smiled, squeezing my hand and releasing his hold on my waist.

I let him lead me up to my house, and then I let him in using my key. "Dad?!" I shouted through.

"In the lounge," I heard gruffly shouted back.

"You'll be fine," Aston whispered, letting me take the lead. I dragged him with me into the lounge, where I found my Dad sat on the sofa with the TV on.

"Hi Dad," I said meekly, Aston's hand still clenched in my own.

"Jessica," my Dad, replied, clearly sizing Aston up.

"Dad, this is Aston, my boyfriend," I said, trying not to falter, "Ast, this is my Dad."

"Pleasure to meet you sir," Aston said, holding his hand out. I watched on as my Dad got to his feet and took Aston's hand warily.

"Dad what are you doing here?" I asked, after we'd all sat down. Me on the couch with my Dad and Aston on the chair just next to me.

"I'm sure you know why I'm here Jessica. Eighth in Germany? Are you kidding me? Some of those girls that were ahead of you should have been easy to beat!"

I sighed loudly, catching Aston's eye as I did so.

"You're clearly too distracted to put in a winning race," my Dad added.

"Now hold on, that's not fair," Aston said, entering the conversation, "It was her fastest time of the season!"

"That's not really important when we're aiming for a gold medal. She needs to be the fastest in the race."

"But the Olympics isn't about winning. It's about taking part. Representing England!" Aston protested. "Her result in Germany is an excellent step towards Olympic qualification. Don't knock it."

"Ast..." I whispered, putting my hand on his knee. I hoped he'd catch the hint that he should butt out.

"No," he said, "We're having this out right now!"

"Ast..."

"Jess why don't you go upstairs?" Aston asked me, "So I can have a word with your father?"