Thirty-Seven & Thirty-Eight

PART THRITY SEVEN

“Those texts…” he said.

“Hmm…” I said. I stood and stared him down for a moment before continuing on, “I’m not going to ask you if you meant them or anything.”

“You’re not? Because I did...”

“I figured that,” I said with a faint smile, “I’ve got a different question for you actually.”

“What?”

“Will you be my boyfriend?” I questioned, a small smirk on my face.

“Jess…” he sighed, “I told you before, now is just not a good time for us.”

“I don’t care,” I said stubbornly.

“But Jess… I don’t want to hurt you,” Aston said a look of worry on his face.

“You won’t,” I told him, “Remember when you said you knew what you were getting into with me? Well I know what I’m getting into with you…”

“J…”

“This last week hasn’t been nearly as bad as you were trying to make it out to be!” I argued, “We’ve been texting more than before!”

“Yeah, so why do we need to change things?” he asked.

“If you want to be single, just tell me,” I said, “Don’t play this off that it’ll be better for me, or for 'us.'”

“I’m not, trust me,” he said, reaching his hand out to touch mine.

“Well then, I’m not leaving Cardiff until you agree to be my boyfriend!” I pouted, stamping my foot lightly on the ground like a small child.

“Woah there!” Aston said, placing his hands gently on my shoulders so he could look into my eyes. “Just think about this for one second.”

“I have… Ast this is stupid, we both know that we want this, and waiting is just making things worse than if we were together,” I said, “It’s putting doubts in my mind, making me think you’re not really interested.” And then, before he could protest this statement, I added, “You told me the other day that if I wanted something bad enough I just had to go and get it. Well, I’m here right now…”

Aston stood and stared at me for a minute, lost for words. I tried my best hold his gaze, a defiant look in my eyes. He was the one who’d told me to make my own decisions, and like hell I was going to let him decide that it would be best for us to wait because it wouldn’t be fair on me to be with him. I didn’t care if he was away. I just wanted to have that feeling of knowing that there was someone out there for me, who was truly interested in wanting to be with me. And, it wasn’t like we weren’t already pretty much a couple anyways. 

I held his eyes as they turned slightly darker, and then softened. “Ok,” he whispered finally, “Girlfriend…”

I grinned at this and launched myself into his arms, wrapping my own around his neck and hugging him tight.

It took him a moment to respond to my tight embrace, but soon enough I felt him run his hands along my waist and around my back as he hugged me back. He let out a deep, content sigh before speaking, “You are so freaking sexy,” he whispered into my ear.

“How so?” I asked, a smirk on my face as I leant away from him so I could see his expression.

“I love how you’re taking matters into your own hands!” Aston said, “I would never have thought you would be the one getting all persistent like.”