Chapter 19.

You had been noticing a change in Joel's behaviour lately. He had been coming home late, sometimes not even coming home at all. And when he did, he was often drunk and distant. It had you worried sick, wondering if he was unhappy with you or if there was something else going on.

One night, as you sat on the couch, waiting for Joel to come home, you heard the door creak open. You looked up to see Joel stumbling in, reeking of alcohol. You felt your heart sink as you saw the state he was in.

"Joel, where have you been? Are you okay?" You asked, your voice filled with concern.

He shrugged off his jacket and slumped onto the couch next to you. "Yeah, I'm fine," he muttered, His eyes are bloodshot, and his words are slurred as he tries to speak. "Just had a few drinks with the guys."

You could tell he was lying, and the worry in your stomach only grew stronger. "Joel, please tell me what's going on. You've been distant and drinking so much lately. Is it me? Are you unhappy with our relationship?"

He turned to you, his eyes bloodshot and filled with pain. "No, it's not you. It's just...it's just hard," he trailed off.

"What's hard, Joel? Talk to me," you urged, placing a hand on his arm.

He let out a deep sigh and ran his hand through his hair. "It's Sarah's birthday tomorrow. I just can't stop thinking about her, and it's been so hard lately. I'm sorry for being distant, I just don't know how to deal with it," he said, his voice cracking with emotion.

Your heart ached for him as you realized the pain he was going through. "Oh, Joel, I'm so sorry. I didn't know. Come here," you said, pulling him into a tight embrace.

You spent the rest of the night talking and looking at pictures of Sarah. You both cried and shared memories, and you did your best to comfort Joel. It was a raw and emotional moment, and you knew how important it was for Joel to have someone to lean on.

Later that night, as you both lay in bed, Joel turned to you, his eyes filled with gratitude. "You know, I was in a really dark place before I met you. I was close to giving up on everything, including myself. But then you came along, and you were my light. You saved me from the dark hole I was spiralling into, and I don't know where I would be without you."

You felt tears well up in your eyes as you realized the depth of Joel's words. "Joel, you don't have to thank me. I love you, and I'm here for you, no matter what."

He pulled you into his arms, holding you tightly. "I love you too, and I don't know how I got so lucky to have you in my life."

You vow to be there for Joel, to help him through the pain and the grief, and to remind him that he's never alone.

As you both approach the graveyard, you can feel your heart racing. You know how much this place means to Joel, and you're always there to support him on this difficult day. You take his hand in yours and give it a gentle squeeze, offering him a reassuring smile.

As you both stand in front of Sarah's grave, Joel places a bouquet of flowers gently on the ground, his eyes welling up with tears. You wrap your arms around him, holding him close as he sobs softly.

After some time, you both make your way to the nearby café to meet up with Tommy for lunch. You can sense the tension in Joel's body, and you gently rub his thigh to show him comfort.

As you both sit down for lunch with Tommy, the conversation turns to happier times. You all reminisce about Sarah and the good times you shared with her, laughing and smiling through the tears.

Joel pulls out his phone and shows you both a collection of pictures he's taken of Sarah over the years. You marvel at her beauty and the love that radiates from each image.

As you all eat dessert, Joel starts telling a funny anecdote about Sarah. His eyes light up with joy as he recounts the memory, and a small smile spreads across your face as you listen.

"She was always such a troublemaker," Joel says, chuckling. "I remember this one time when she was about six years old. We took her to the park, and she started playing on the monkey bars. And then she got stuck. I had to climb up there and get her down."

You and Tommy both laugh, imagining the scene in your heads.

"And then, as soon as I got her down, she just looked up at me with these big, innocent eyes and said, 'Can I go up the monkey bars again, Daddy?"

Joel shakes his head in disbelief, still smiling. "She always knew how to get what she wanted. But I loved her for it."

As Joel and you leave the restaurant with Tommy, Joel's phone rings. You can see from the caller ID that it's your father, Oscar.

"Hey Oscar, how are you doing?" Joel answers, putting the phone to his ear.

"I'm good, Joel. How about you? How have you been holding up?" Oscar asks.

"I've been alright. It's been a tough day, you know," Joel replies, his voice sounding tired.

"I know, son. I just wanted to check in on you and see how you're doing. And to see if you're taking good care of my daughter here," Oscar chuckles.

Joel laughs, "Of course, I am. She's taking good care of me too."

"I'm glad to hear that. You know, Joel, we used to be good friends. We haven't talked much since... since I punched you, but I miss our conversations," Oscar says.

Joel's expression softens, "Yeah, I miss them too. We should definitely catch up more often."

"I'd like that. Let's grab a drink sometime, just the two of us," Oscar suggests.

Joel nods, "Sounds good to me. I could use a friend to talk to."

Oscar assures him, "Anytime, son. You know where to find me."

After the call, Joel turns to you and smiles, "Your dad's a good guy."

You smile back, "Yeah, he is. And I'm glad you guys are reconnecting. You need more friends, especially ones who knew Sarah."

Joel nods, "Yeah, it feels good to talk to someone who knew her well. It makes her feel closer, you know?"

You take his hand and give it a gentle squeeze, "I know. And I'm here for you too, always."

Joel leans in to kiss you on the forehead, "I know, Muffin. You're my light in the darkness."

It's a small comfort in the midst of the pain and grief that still lingers from Sarah's death.