CHAPTER TEN

CHAPTER TEN:

April 21, 1875: Third Operation – Define womanhood

It has been months ever since the fight that she had with Julio but Jimena still couldn't bring herself to talk to her father properly. She knew that she needed to amend this soon for her to survive longer in this era, but her wounded pride and 21st-century morals won't let her. Sure, they have talked whenever necessary but whenever they do, it will become super strained that the atmosphere around the room plummets to less than 100 degrees.

Her brothers thankfully were always there to become mediators so Jimena was not all alone to face the man. Whenever this thing happens, one of her brothers would usually pull her away to do some other business, while another would try talking to their father to decapitate his anger.

It was not always a great arrangement of course but for Jimena as long as they did not end up in a screaming match with her father, it was already a success.

On that day, of April 21, 1875, her brothers managed yet again to destroy the tension that was brewing over breakfast. Jimena had asked her father for permission to not go to class that day so that she could spend time with her brothers. It was Carlos's birthday, and his only wish was for his siblings to spend time with him frolicking along the streets of Manila.

Since it was a school day, her father was skeptical about the whole thing, making the tension around their breakfast table run high.

"I don't see the need for you to skip a day of school Jimena," Julio said blithely while sipping his cup of coffee. "Don't you think it's quite a frivolous and wasteful venture? You can celebrate your brother's birthday after class."

Jimena just looked at her father evenly.

"It's Kuya Carlos's request tatay." She said, her voice cold. "And considering my high grades at school recently, I can sacrifice a day or two just to make a brother of mine happy."

Julio scoffed.

"You are being a little bit too boastful young lady." He said. "Your grades don't matter to me because you don't apply them to your life. Your personality is crass and unladylike - you don't respect your parents as what God told you to do in the commandments." He then took a sip once more from his cup of caffeine. "If it will not cause me any societal repercussions, I would have pulled you out of school last January."

Jimena tried to talk back but Hector intervened. Hector was the favorite child as of that moment and Jimena was grateful that he was using that privilege to make his father agree.

"Let's not be brash tatay." He said while looking up from his breakfast. He was sporting a civil smile on his face and if he were in the future, it can be called a corporate grin. "I believe Jimena has our best intentions at heart when asking for this request. And I believe with how smart she is, she can catch up with the lessons that she will miss for the day."

Felipe, whom Jimena deduced as the second favorite, spoke up too.

"In addition, we will see it personally that she will ask permission from the school mother properly." He said in his usual quiet voice. "We will look after Jimena, tatay."

Julio paused for a while as if thinking, before nodding.

"Very well." He said. And to Jimena, he fixed a stare. "I expect you to behave properly today, Jimena. Don't cause embarrassment in the family any more than you already have. I do hope that's clear."

Jimena nodded.

"Crystal." She said. And with gritted teeth, she added. "Thank you tatay. I greatly appreciate this."