𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘

𝖜𝖍𝖊𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖓𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙 𝖎𝖘 𝖆𝖑𝖒𝖔𝖘𝖙 𝖉𝖔𝖓𝖊

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐍 were empty as Eden and Anthony made their way down them

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐄𝐄𝐓𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐍 were empty as Eden and Anthony made their way down them. Green light shone upon the sidewalks, ghost-lamps in full effect, as they continued on. Despite the defenses, Eden could still detect Visitors nearby, watching and waiting in the wings for their moment to shine. Anthony was keeping a quick pace that she struggled to keep up with.

"Shouldn't we get a cab home?" she asked him, looking around.

The incident with the Cold Maiden had shaken her, not so much in fear of Visitors, but the fact that she had seemed to forget all of her agent training. She knew that she shouldn't have gotten so close, but it was as though she had to. She couldn't really fight it. She didn't want to risk being caught by another Visitor in the streets and put Anthony in danger.

"But it's such a lovely evening for a stroll," Anthony replied smoothly.

"I don't think that's been said since before the Problem began," she huffed, one hand in the pocket of her coat, the other holding the hilt of her rapier. She glanced at Anthony, then turned her gaze forward as she frowned curiously. "So, how did you meet Flo?"

"Can't remember," he answered rigidly. "Ages ago."

"She always been . . . like that?"

"Yeah. Bless her."

A siren wailed in the distance. A dog barked inside someone's home. Anthony kept walking. Eden wasn't sure she'd ever seen Flo Bones again, but she knew one thing by the time she had parted ways with them. "She cares about you, doesn't she?" Eden asked Anthony softly.

"Yeah, she's a worrier, that's all," Anthony replied with a slight scoff. "Forget about it. We don't know how long it will be until Carver gets that message. We need to move fast."

"That's why I recommended getting a cab," Eden reminded him.

"We're not headed back yet, though," Anthony told her.

"But it's almost midnight," she said, glancing at him. "George will be waiting up for us."

"George will be delighted when we bring the mirror."

Eden's pace slowed considerably in comparison to Anthony. She shook her head. "No, not . . . not Winkman's?" she inquired, seriously hoping that he wasn't considering visiting the antique shop to try and find the mirror at this time of night.

"You heard what Barnes said," Anthony stated. "That thing is lethal. Who knows whose hands it could end up in tomorrow? Plus, it's easier to break in and steal things at night. And it's on our way."

As Anthony kept walking, Eden stopped. "She said they'd kill us," she said, recalling Flo's words from earlier. Anthony ceased movement when he sensed that Eden was no longer beside him and turned to look at her. "You heard her."