𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖍𝖊𝖆𝖗𝖙 𝖍𝖆𝖘 𝖓𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖔𝖜 𝖇𝖆𝖓𝖐𝖘

𝐄𝐃𝐄𝐍 𝐆𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐃 𝐀𝐒 𝐒𝐇𝐄 swung her rapier toward one of the bursts of air in the basement, simulating a Visitor attack

She had gone up to her bedroom and intended on crying, but she realized that she would much rather hit something. Her swordsmanship and stamina had been severely lacking, even before coming to Lockwood & Co., and she really just needed to loosen the frustration storing up in her muscles. So, she tucked Annabel's contained necklace in her coat pocket, changed into training gear, and made her way down to the basement.

Truly, she had thought that Anthony saw her as more than just an asset. And maybe it was foolish for her to think so, maybe it was just wishful thinking on the part of her stupid, little school-girl-crush on him. It was obvious to her now that she couldn't trust him the way that she thought that she could. Even after a year, it only took one thing for everything that she thought she knew to change.

Letting out another grunt, she lunged toward a stream of air, swinging her rapier. She stumbled slightly, losing her balance.

Eden cursed, waiting for another stream of air. She repeated the same move, only to lose her balance again. She tried multiple times, each with the same result. She didn't exactly know what was lacking—her form, maybe. Fittes hadn't exactly been too worried about her fighting skills when all they really wanted from her were her Talents and Ability.

Just like Anthony.

She let out a disgruntled vocal, swinging at a stream of air. The same practiced, quick-paced series of steps that had been causing her to lose her balance, and she reached the end with the same result.

Annoyed, she threw down her rapier and walked over to the column that held the switch, turning the jets off. Wiping her hands over her sweaty face, she walked over to her rapier, bending down to pick it up. When she stood up straight again, her eyes caught movement by the door.

"No," she stated immediately, shaking her head at Anthony. "I don't want to talk to you."

"Just let me explain—"

"You know, I have never heard of someone wanting to put their foot in their mouth more than it already is," Eden interjected, frowning curiously. "I'm serious, Lockwood. Don't talk to me."

She stood in the center of the room awkwardly, feeling self-conscious to practice her swordsmanship with him standing right there.

"Well, can I at least try and help you?" he asked, gesturing to her rapier. "I . . . I noticed your struggle."

Eden said nothing as he strode toward her, still clad in his dress shirt and tie. She just regarded him with steely eyes. His movements were slow, controlled, as if he was worried that by moving too fast he would startle her away and she would never be near him again. He was almost right about that—Eden was impossibly betrayed.