TWO

____________________

"They look so in love!" Jyoti gushed over Simran and Angad's picture from the proposal. It was the next day and the first thing Nayab did after reaching college was tell Jyoti and Ishaan about Simran's engagement.

"Is that a chocolate cake? It looks delicious." Ishaan commented, zooming into the picture.

Jyoti hit his head. "The picture is of the happy couple, and all you can look at is the stupid cake in the background?"

Ishaan huffed and passed the iPad back to Nayab.

"Say congratulations to her from our side." Jyoti said.

Nayab nodded.

After that, they attended four lectures back to back with only a small lunch break in between. Then, instead of going home, Nayab headed towards Simran's place.

"Hello, future Mrs Sethi!" Nayab pulled her best friend into a tight hug.

Simran grinned. "I can't tell you how weird it feels." She said, touching her ring, "in a good way."

"I am sure." Nayab nodded.

Simran's mother also greeted Nayab with a hug before both the girls went to Simran's bedroom to talk.

"Angad's family wants a proper engagement function in Chandigarh." Simran informed her.

"Why not in Delhi?" Nayab asked.

"Their khandani haveli is in Chandigarh and his grandmother lives there." Simran said, "So the engagement will be somewhere around next month. Keep your dates free."

Nayab's smile fell. "Simi, I am sorry but my exams start in August."

"August! That is like three months away. You can easily come." Simran reasoned.

"The syllabus is too much. And I can't miss lectures. I am sorry."

"Nayab.." Simran whined.

Nayab cutely pouted, which eventually made Simran sigh in defeat.

"Fine, but you have to promise that you'll take a leave from college for at least fifteen days for my wedding." Simran put forth the condition.

"Done. Just make sure the wedding isn't before August and you'll find me with you 24/7."

A househelp knocked the door before coming inside to serve them cold coffee with some cake.

"You'll at least come with me for the engagement shopping, right?" Simran asked while taking a sip of the coffee.

Nayab thought about it. "And that is going to take how many days?"

"This isn't wedding shopping yet, so I think three or four weekends would do. We have to go to Chandini Chowk first. Also some shops at Lajpat have great collections. And Karol Bagh, oh, we have to check it out." Simran spoke in a single breath.

Nayab's eyes had widened by now. She had finished making the entire study plan for the exam yesterday. And that definitely did not include spending her four weekends in the crowded markets of Delhi.

"I don't.." As soon as she started to speak, Simran's eyes turned deadly, as if challenging her to say no.

"I don't think I have a problem with that plan." Nayab nervously chuckled. "I can definitely take out four weekends for my best friend's engagement. I would just have to make some tiny changes in my study plan."

Simran scrunched her nose in disgust. "It has been almost 18 years of our friendship, and I still can't understand how you have the ability to plan each and every tiny aspect of your life."

"I don't plan everything." Nayab defended herself.

"Really? Give me one example." Simran raised an eyebrow.

Nayab tried to think of something, but her brain could not come up with anything. So she just focused on her coffee. Simran sighed and shook her head.

"Do you know what'd be cool?" Simran spoke after a while.

Nayab asked what.

"If you get married as well. Then the probability of our kids being born around the same time will be so high. And then they can be best friends as well." Simran spoke, excited.

Nayab looked at her as if she had grown two horns. "That is the worst theory I have ever heard. Who said if we get married together, we'd get pregnant together. And anyway, I am not getting married before 25. In three years, I will be pursuing my PG from a good college. And then mom can look for a groom for me."

"And then she says she doesn't plan everything." Simran murmured helplessly.

After coming back home that night, she spent some time with her sister-in-law, Aaliya. Hamza and Aaliya met through their parents  and had gotten married a year ago.

After dinner, she made the study plan again. She was not attending the engagement, but she was not going to miss the preparations. She was going to be there for her best friend through the entire process.

___________________

From the next weekend, the shopping began. True to her words, Simran took Nayab to every market of the city. From lehengas to suits to gowns to sarees, Simran tried them all. And finally, she settled on a silver lehenga with a cape blouse. For jewelry, Simran's mother selected a diamond set with emerald green stones on it.

"You sure you can't come?" Simran asked Nayab one last time. They were speaking on video call one night before she had to leave for Chandigarh.

"I am sorry, baby." Nayab sadly replied, looking at the thick syllabus books around.

Simran understandably nodded her head. "But don't forget the promise you've made about the wedding. I have told dad for a date in September so that you are done with the exams."

"I promise to completely shift to your place for the wedding." Nayab blew a kiss through the screen.

"I love you and I'll miss you."

"I love you too, babe." Nayab smiled.

▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️▪️

Danish's introduction coming up in the next chapter.