Evan glanced up, suddenly invigorated. A wicked smile spread across his features as he grinned at me.

"Awesome! At least I won't be completely alone," he smiled genuinely at me and despite myself, I let out a small smile back.

- - -

The ride back from the police station was in stony silence. I sneaked a peak at Jake. His hands clutched the steering wheel so tight, the were turning white. My car was being towed and held in the impound. Jake offered to drive me home.

"Thank you, Jake. For coming. You didn't have to," I let out softly and he finally glanced at me.

"Yes, I had to."

"Is this because...." I trailed off, not wanting to complete the sentence.

"I like you? Yeah, that's partly it. Also, I'd never want to see you hurt. I'd cut the baby- makers off any guy who so much as scratched you," he said and I believed him.

"Thanks anyway. You came through for me in a big way," I said and he smiled a little.

"It was no big deal. Does your best friend Sean know about your car accident?"

"I called him but he didn't pick up," I admitted.

"Stupid," he replied and I laughed a little.

"Yeah. But hey, Jake, quick question. Why'd you come for me? Even after I bailed on you, why'd you come?" I asked and Jake sucked in air through clenched teeth. I balled my hands into fists and sat on them.

What would he say?

"It's simple. We say things we often don't mean when we're agitated, or angry or...scared. I didn't want to lose you just in case you said that to me flippantly."

My heart pounded so fast I could hear my pulse in my ears.

"Lose me?"

"Kendall, I have something to tell you," he said and he swung the car over to the side of the road before turning to face me. As he stared at me with those deep, sea green eyes, I felt my blood rush to my face.

Oh boy.

Jake what are you doing to me?

"I had a girlfriend two years ago," he said, his voice shaky. I inhaled. Where was this going?

"Her name was Valerie, and she was the best thing to ever happen to me. Back then, I was...depressed. She saved me, and I loved her for it. But then, she left me. She cheated on me with my best friend, Bryce, and I couldn't take it. I fell back into depression again and swore off girls...until I saw you standing at Ballistic Burgers that day, looking so perfect and cute even when you were disdainful. It felt like my heart could maybe patch itself up again," he took a deep breath.