11 - Mirror, Mirror

musical mood: release – imagine dragons

"So, you mean to tell me, Quirrell was talking to a voice you couldn't see, about some deal, a stone, and wanting a boy dead?" Bethany stared at Cass from next to her after she explained everything that had transpired during the day, on the same couch she and George had been on earlier. Now, the sun had gone down, and every other Ravenclaw except for the two were in bed.

Cass nodded. "I mean, the boy is probably Harry Potter, given the whole broom curse thing, but it's best to keep all options open. It was...odd. Quirrell was afraid of The Voice, but he made some sort of deal with it. There weren't any details though, then Fred Weasley came in and interrupted them. The Voice..it somehow sensed he was coming. Before he knocked, it said something like 'we aren't alone'."

"Strange..." Bethany turned to her lap, where the mysterious book was sat, illuminated by the light of her wand. "You're right about this book too, it's complete nonsense. Whatever language it's in isn't anything I've seen."

"George suggested his brother Percy could help. He probably doesn't know the language, but apparently he's well educated in linguistics. Maybe he knows of a translation spell."

Bethany's nose scrunched up. "Percy Weasley? He's like, a proper git. Why would you listen to anything that dimwit George says, anyways?"

"Do you have a better suggestion?"

"I could look around myself for a spell."

Perhaps it was the lack of sleep, or the stress of the day, but Cass was so wound up that she had to take a deep breath to prevent herself from shouting. "That could take ages, though. We don't have that kind of time - not if they're planning on murdering Potter! Whatever is in this could be really important!"

"Or, it could just be a random book Quirrell found to store his candid photos." Bethany pulled out the exact polaroid George had, staring at it with raised eyebrows and a smirk, then back at Cass. "You look like him, you know?"

Cass blinked.

"Really, if you cut your hair short and got rid of your freckles, you'd be twins." Bethany held the polaroid up to Cass's face, tilting her head in faux passivism. "I mean, the hair colour, and good Merlin, you've got the exact same eyes-"

Not giving her a chance to finish her sentence, Cass shot up from the couch, pulling out her wand and aimed it at her dormmate. This was a bad idea, she knew it was a bad idea, physical violence only ever led to bad things, but she was so tired, so confused, frustrated, and of course Bethany chose now of all times to mock her.

Bethany rose from where she sat as well, her expression not faltering, though she reached into her robes and pulled out her own wand as well. "You're seriously going to hex me because I said you look like your brother?"

"Shut up!"

"Calm down, Crouch! I'm just messing with you." Bethany was still looking at the polaroid, which Cass lunged at.

"Give me that!" She ripped it out of her grip, clutching the image to her chest so no one else could see it.

"Crouch, you do realise there are like, ten other photographs in here, right?" Flipping through the pages of the book, Bethany pulled out another. "Hm, this must be their full friend group. Regulus Black and Evan Rosier are in here...Merlin, why are Barty and Quirrell always touching? God, it's so weird to see Quirrell without his turban, or your brother outside of a mugshot-"