1

I’m nice to people, even when I’d rather prefer strangling some of them. Very few of the people at this school are nice just because they want to be nice. Should I continue tolerating these people? Wait a moment, why am I tolerating them again?

I’m still trying to remember why I tolerate assholes when Emily walks up to me, ‘Ariel, why do you zone out so much? You do it a lot. I’ve been watching you for the last week, and to tell the truth? You zone out a lot. Why is that?’ she asked.

I know that I do zone out a lot, but I won’t explain it to her. Heck, I don’t even know how it works. I can’t control it, it just happens on its own. I have no problem with this zoning out thing, because to me, it happens at the perfect times.

Like when I’m bored and don’t have anything interesting to do, and when I’m thinking about something that I like, or something that really interests me.
To answer Em’s question I just shrugged. She sighed and said,

‘Should have known I wouldn’t get an answer out of you’

I smiled, ‘You get me so well.’ She groaned,

‘Anyway, what’s on your mind?’ 

‘I was about to answer myself, but since you’re here now, why not use you? Anyway, I was just asking myself why I tolerate assholes so much. I mean seriously, I really want to rip their throats out for being jerks. Yet I make myself tolerate their shit.’ I explained.

She groaned, ‘This again? Ariel Blakely, you don’t want people to know about your past, I’m your best and only friend yet I have no freaking clue as to what happened in your past. I know that you don’t fake liking me, that, I’m sure of. You told me that if I wanted to be your friend, I should not ask about your past, in return you wouldn’t ask about my past. I accept that because even I have a past that I’d rather keep under wraps. Being nice to people helps you hide your past, and it also helps avoid any drama. That’s why you’re nice.’

I thought about what Emily said for a moment and agreed with her, ‘Nice to keep assholes at bay. Good plan.’ 

‘Yeah, it is.’

‘You’re a good friend.’ I complimented.

She smiled, ‘I’m your best friend.’

As we continued talking I saw a guy walking through isle six. He has short wavy brown hair, about six foot two, athletic build. He’s wearing black jeans, a blue shirt, black leather jacket and black boots. Wow, this dude really likes black.

‘Emily? Who’s that dude over there?’ Emily looked at isle six and saw him.

‘That’s Aiden Daniels. He is the said king of this school. I’m surprised he’s here alone, he never goes anywhere without his best friend Connor Wilde. What startles me more is that he’s inside the library. I was pretty sure that neither he nor Connor even knew what a library is.’ Emily explained.

‘You seem to know quite a lot about him and his friend.’ I commented.

She smiled, ‘Who doesn’t? Everyone inside this school knows who those two are. The girls basically swoon over them. The boys want to become them, but they obviously can’t. Even the teachers know who those two are. How come you don’t?’

‘The only things I know about the gossip that goes around this school are the ones that I’m interested in. And to tell the truth, I’m not interested in any gossip. Whether it’s Connor Wilde or Aiden Daniels, I don’t care. You of all people know that. And plus, teachers love gossip. It’s in their nature to gossip about students.’ I explained.

‘Wow, you’re really something else Ariel.’ Emily stated.

‘Which one of them do you have a crush on?’ I asked.

Emily blushed, ‘Connor.’ She whispered.

‘Emily Woods actually has a crush on someone. Times do change. Anyway what’s he like? Describe him for me.’ I said.

‘He has straight red hair, the same length as Aiden’s. Where Aiden has blue eyes, he has green ones. He has the same build as Aiden’s. Unlike Aiden, he actually smiles. I think Aiden only smiles when he and Connor are together. Every girl in school wants to be their girlfriend.’ She said.

When Emily talks about Connor she looks close to feinting right there on the spot. I may not understand this mushy stuff about crushes, but I can tell that she’s had this crush for years and has managed to control how she looks, acts and talks when she hears his name, thinks of him and probably when she’s close to him. The only reason I can see this is because I’ve known her for a long time.

‘I don’t’ I stated.

‘Huh?’ she asked.

‘I’m not interested in them.’ I stated.

‘Maybe you should see their pictures first.’ She said.

‘That won’t change anything.’ I told her.   

She scrolled through her phone and gave it to me. I looked at the screen and saw Wilde and Daniels standing side by side. They look normal, nothing special, just two best friends. I looked at Emily with a bored expression on.

‘Am I supposed to swoon?’ I asked.

‘Really, you feel nothing?’ She asked dumbfounded.

‘Not a thing.’ I stated.

‘Tell me how you think they look.’ She said.

‘They look fine.’ I answered.

‘Fine? Fine!? These two are hot. They’re the epitome of perfection. They are__’ I cut her off.

‘Dude, I get it. You adore them. But remember, we’re two different people, and to tell the truth, I just don’t see the perfection you see in them. They look normal to me.’

‘Okay, I guess we have different tastes. What’s your type?’

‘Huh?’ I said.

I understand what she wants to know, but I’ve never had a boyfriend, nor have I ever been in love. I don’t even know what love feels like. No boy has interested me, hence when they asked, I always said no. I know I’m not a lesbian. No boy has ever met my expectations. I don’t even know what my expectations are.

‘Earth to Ariel.’

‘What? What’d you say?’I asked.

‘What kind of boys do you like?’ She asked.

‘The ones that aren’t assholes.’

‘Which guys that aren’t assholes do you like?’ She asked.

‘The ones that interest me.’

Her face looked close to exploding and I suppressed my laugh. At this moment, one word could make her blow. Let’s test that theory.

I put on an innocent looking face and asked, ‘What’s wrong?’

She sent a deadly glare my way and I smiled. Other people would have cowered away in fear, and yet I smiled. Her expression was priceless.

‘You’re asking me what the fuck is wrong. I’ll tell you what’s wrong. You don’t have a type.’ She said.

‘So?’

‘You don’t have a type, Ariel.’ She repeated as though that would change anything. I know she’s shocked. Most girls have types like; buff, black, football players, soccer players, smart, geeky, and so on. I don’t have one, and I don’t mind not having a type.

‘Yeah, you said that already.’

‘Why don’t you have a type?’ She asked.

I shrugged, ‘Don’t need one.’

Emily looked at me as though I was the craziest person on this planet. Then she just sighed and walked away to cool down. Oh how I love riling her up.